NC man arrested in connection 32-year-old cold case murder

Clay Curtis
March 13, 2018

The man accused of murdering 15-year-old Tracy Gilpin in MA in 1986 will not contest his extradition from North Carolina to face the charges.

Tracy was last seen on October 1, 1986 at a party at a friend's house, not too far from her own home. Tracy refused and started walking.

The investigation revealed that when Tracy left the party, instead of going home she walked to the Cumberland Farms.

Gilpin was found dead in Myles Standish State Forest three weeks after she disappeared from a party.

District Attorney Timothy Cruz says Tracy died from a "massive skull fracture". Her trousers and shoes were missing. At the time of her murder, Hand just lived on Brookdale Street, five miles away from Gilpin.

On Friday, officials arrested Michael Hand at his home in Iredell County.

All Blacks Sevens beaten again in Vancouver
The All Blacks Sevens are now second in the standings, 10 points behind South Africa, heading into the sixth round of the series. Kenya were first on the scoring board today with a try from Willy Ambaka but Fiji responded through Josua Vakurunabili.

Hand will be transported to MA where he will be charged with with murder in the death of Gilpin, officials say.

Statement of Massachusetts State Police Colonel Kerry A. GilpinMy family and I would like to thank Plymouth County District Attorney Tim Cruz, the Plymouth County State Police Detective Unit, the Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab, the Kingston and Plymouth Police Departments, police in North Carolina, and all of the investigators who have worked diligently over the last 31 years to solve Tracy's murder. "Technology is incredible and they move forward every day".

Authorities have begun rendition proceedings to bring him back to Massachusetts to be prosecuted for Gilpin's murder, according to the Massachusetts State Police. According to sources, Kerry made a decision to join law enforcement after her sister, Tracy was found murdered. We are also extremely grateful to the members of the public who have provided information to investigators.

For more than three decades, the killing of Tracy Gilpin remained unsolved. He is due in court on Monday, March 12, when authorities will commence action to send him back to MA to face charges. In 2017, Gilpin's family increased the reward for giving information about Gilpin's murderer. That reward was later raised to $25,000, according to The Boston Globe.

The authorities never stopped investigating Gilpin's slaying.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article