Jammu and Kashmir: Three militants killed in Anantnag encounter, says Army

Tanya Simon
March 14, 2018

AK 47 rifles, hand grenades, and pistols have been recovered from the encounter place, the police said.

Indian officials alleged that the three killed were separatists who were gunned down by security forces in a gunbattle.

The police said while the search was going on the hiding militants fired upon the search party.

The IGP identified two of the slain militants as Eesa Fazli of Srinagar and Syed Owais of Kokernag.

A top police source said that TuM has a strength of only four militants and that Fazli was in touch with its commander Dawood Mir, of HMT area of Srinagar, before he joined militancy.

Northeast preps for 3rd winter storm in the past 10 days
The weather will start off as rain early Monday - from a third to a full inch of rainfall across central North Carolina. On Friday and Thursday, however, Dixon said the temperature should rise to highs in the 40s with partly sunny skies.

Indian troops killed three Kashmiri youths, including at least two engineering students, in held Kashmir's Islamabad district on Monday, triggering widespread protests in the region, according to local and global media reports. The bodies of the youth were taken to their ancestral graveyards amid pro-freedom and anti-India slogans. A spokesperson said that fresh dates will be notified. Class work at the University of Kashmir was suspended and all examinations scheduled, today, were postponed. Reports said that shortly after the culmination of funeral prayers at Sharjah Ground Ahmednagar, clashes erupted between protesters and government forces. Post the engagement, J&K authorities have ordered a closure of all the schools and colleges in Srinagar fearing protests after one of the slain militants belonged to Soura area in Srinagar.

During a search operation, the security forces came under fire from militants triggering an encounter in which three militants including a foreigner Essa Fazili of Srinagar were killed.

Train services were also suspended for "security reasons".

A police official said that situation remained by and large peaceful across Kashmir Valley. Police also arrested Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik from his Maisuma residence.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article