ACA questions severity of ball-tampering bans

Tanya Simon
March 30, 2018

Sutherland announced from South Africa Smith, Warner and Bancroft were also all to be sent home from the tour of South Africa in disgrace for their roles in planning and carrying out a ball tampering scheme in the third test in Cape Town over the weekend.

Sutherland confirmed Bancroft‚ who has been banned for nine months for his part‚ used sandpaper on the ball.

He said that Cricket Australia will review the conduct and culture of the national teams and focus on re-engaging with the cricket public to regain respect.

Former Australian cricket captain Steve Smith broke down when facing the media on his return to Sydney, apologising for his failure of leadership during the ball-tampering scandal in South Africa. "We love all of our players and they are going through a really tough time", he added. "It has compromised the fans' faith in cricket and it's our responsibility to reinstate that confidence", said CA chief executive James Sutherland. The cricketers went against the 2.3.5 Cricket code of conduct and an official report has been filed against them.

Smith and Warner have also been sacked from their Indian Premier League teams for 2018, stripping them of huge potential income after the Rajasthan Royals and Sunrisers Hyderabad agreed to pay $1.07 million and $1.84 million respectively for their services.

An emotional Cameron Bancroft asked for forgiveness Thursday (March 29) over his part in a ball-tampering scandal, saying he was ashamed of himself, but refused to comment on the role David Warner played.

High Court orders release of Miguna Miguna from JKIA detention
Ninety-two people have been reported killed during protests over Kenyatta's election and there had been fears of further violence. The rights official said that up to 100 police officers beat up journalists and opposition supporters during the confrontation.

Warner has endured a hard week since he plotted and instructed Cameron Bancroft to tamper with the ball with sandpaper on the third day of the Cape Town Test against South Africa.

David Warner, the third cricketer banned for the ball-tampering plot which he devised, only took to Twitter to admit his plan was a "stain on the game".

All three players will be permitted to play club cricket, and will be encouraged to do so, to maintain links with the cricket community.

Speculation has emerged that Warner - known for his aggressive and often controversial approach which reared its head following an altercation with South Africa's Quinton de Kock during the opening Test - was allegedly behind the decision for Bancroft to tamper with the ball at Newlands.

"We wanted everything in our own hands. Been thinking about my position for a while, despite telling media yesterday that I'm not resigning", he said. "This also includes Darren Lehmann, who will continue to coach the team".

"Regrettably, these recent events are so inconsistent with our values that we are left with no option but to terminate our ongoing partnership with Cricket Australia".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER