Paris suspect Abdeslam found guilty, handed 20 years in Brussels shootout

Brenda Watkins
April 24, 2018

It should be clarified that in Belgium, a terrorist tried in a gunfight with police and resisting arrest after committed in the Paris terrorist attacks, Abdeslam was wanted and was caught in Brussels. The oral view of this trial was held last February and showed a Abdeslam strongly radicalized and without any intention of cooperating with justice.

Abdeslam, born in Brussels of Moroccan origin, has spent almost 20 months in isolation, under 24-hour video surveillance, at a prison in the Paris region since his transfer to French authorities in April past year.

Report says if Belgium asks for his extradition to serve his currently-announced sentence, he would be handed over only after completing his prison sentence in France if convicted for the terrorism charges there.

Neither 28-year-old Abdeslam nor Ayari, 24, were in court for the verdict.

Today's marks the first guilty verdict against Abdeslam since the Paris attack.

Monkey does not own selfie copyright, appeals court rules
Animal rights group PETA filed the suit on behalf of the monkey, saying he earned profits from Slater's book. Randy Smith called PETA's lawsuit "frivolous" and said he would have dismissed the case on other grounds.

The conclusion of the case at Brussels' ornate palace of justice took place amid tight security set up by the armed forces and police. Police that day raided a safe house where Abdeslam and accomplices had been staying, and four were wounded in the shootout, in which Abdeslam escaped.

Salah Abdeslam and two associates drove from Paris to Brussels the next day.

He then refused to attend the rest of the proceedings. The operation was dealt with by a jihadist of Algerian origin, Mohamed Belkaid, dead and three police officers wounded. Mr. Mary argued that although Mr. Abdeslam was present at the time of the police raid, he did not open fire and there was no evidence that he had even picked up a gun.

Abdeslam's now being held in a French jail, awaiting another trial for his alleged role in the attacks themselves, which left 130 people dead and hundreds more injured.

An organisation representing victims of the Brussels attacks and their families is seeking symbolic damages of one euro.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER