United Nations says Afghan air raid in April killed 30 children

Clay Curtis
May 8, 2018

Villagers in the Dasht-e Archi district of Kunduz province said that dozens of people, including many children, had been killed in the 2 April attack, prompting the United Nations to launch an investigation.

The Taliban claimed 59 people were killed and 150 were injured - mainly children, religious scholars, and elderly men at the religious ceremony.

The UNAMA team said it could not make a definitive judgment on government claims that the attack, apparently by helicopter gunships, hit mainly Taliban militants.

Last month, a suicide bomber killed at least 60 people and wounded more than 100 others who were registering to vote in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

Jason Day 'battles demons' to win Wells Fargo
He won nine times in the previous three seasons, including a Major at the 2015 PGA Championship. There's no prize money that comes with being world No. 1, no trophy or FedExCup points.

The operation raised questions about the government's respect for "rules of precaution and proportionality under worldwide humanitarian law", the report says.

Mohammad Radmanish said no civilians were present. Police spokesman Karim Yuresh said another civilian was wounded in Sunday's attack, in an area where both the Taliban and IS are active.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani expressed his condolences in connection with the incident and said the attack is "an insult to the democratic values of the people of Afghanistan", after the noon prayer in the mosque is also used as a voter registration centre.

In 2015, more than 40 patients and hospital staff members were killed in sustained usa airstrikes on a hospital operated by the aid group Doctors Without Borders after the Taliban briefly captured Kunduz city.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER