Taliban kill Afghan district governor despite truce

Clay Curtis
June 13, 2018

At least 12 people were killed and 31 wounded when a suicide attacker blew himself up outside a government ministry in Kabul on Monday, officials said, as employees were leaving their offices early for Ramzan.

The attack occurred as employees were leaving their offices early for Ramadan, police spokesman Hashmat Stanikzai said. "We are told to stay inside for now".

The Taliban claimed the Faryab attack as well as one in Sayad district of neighbouring Sari Pul where provincial governor spokesman Zabiullah Amani said fighting was still underway.

Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa held a meeting with Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani during his Kabul visit, said an Inter-Services Public Relations press statement.

Taliban fighters have killed a district governor in northern Afghanistan while clashes are ongoing elsewhere, despite the start of a government ceasefire, officials said.

A suicide bomber blew himself up at the entrance to the education department, triggering a fierce battle between gunmen and Afghan security forces, Nangarhar provincial governor spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP. At least 10 people were wounded, said city health department director Najibullah Kamawal. Three people were also injured.

IS has claimed responsibility for many attacks in Kabul but security officials say several are much more likely to be the work of the Haqqani network, a group affiliated with the Taliban.

JUST IN: Real Madrid appoint new coach, Julen Lopetegui
The official club announcement reads that " Julen Lopetegui will be the coach of the first team during the next three seasons". They also scored 36 goals, and their form means they are one of the favourites ahead of the tournament in Russian Federation .

The government will continue its operations against other groups, such as IS, during the ceasefire.

This comes as President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani on Thursday announced that the government has chose to a ceasefire with the Taliban group starting from 27th of the holy month of Ramadan until 5th day of Eid.

Even troops in Ghazni have said they will observe the ceasefire.

It is the first time the militants have agreed to suspend fighting since the 2001 United States invasion, and the move was largely welcomed by war-weary Afghans.

In another incident in Kunduz province, 15 security personnel were killed after a suspected attack by the Taliban, Pajhwok news agency reported.

The anti-government armed militant groups including Taliban insurgents have not commented regarding the report so far.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER