Wilder, Joshua agree to fight deal

Tanya Simon
June 12, 2018

Both fighters fought in March, with Wilder defeating Luis Ortiz in a thrilling, come-from-behind fight where he was almost finished, while Joshua scored a lackluster win on the scorecards over Joseph Parker.

Deontay Wilder and Anthony Joshua have agreed terms for a heavyweight unification bout which will take place at a British venue later this year, ESPN reported on Monday.

Negotiations between the two heavyweight champions have been ongoing since Joshua defeated Joseph Parker in March, adding the WBO belt to his IBF, WBA and IBO titles. The ball is in their court.

Deontay Wilder claims he has agreed to fight Anthony Joshua next in the United Kingdom, and says it is now up to the Briton's camp to finalise the deal. Deas says Joshua turned down a $50 million offer to fight in the United States and that both fighters will make less than they would have to fight in Joshua's home country. "Deontay has accepted his terms to fight in the U.K. Deontay sent an email to Joshua [Sunday] night and I sent one today to Barry Hearn and Eddie telling them that we officially accept the offer to fight under the terms they gave us and to send us the contract".

"Deontay has accepted his terms to fight in the UK", Finkel said.

Earlier this month, Finkel met with Matchroom founder Barry Hearn in NY in an attempt to salvage the fight as WBA mandatory challenger Povetkin looked an increasingly likely prospect. "It's up to them to choose".

Mike Smith, 52, Becomes Oldest Jockey to Win Triple Crown
Justify is the second Triple Crown victor in the last four years , joining American Pharoah , who accomplished the feat in 2015. Smith said: "This horse is so gifted - he's sent from heaven".

"If they keep their word, then we've got a fight", Deas said.

"If for any reason Anthony changes his mind and wants to fight in the U.S, the $50m offer we have made to him is still there".

Another possible outlet is the Perform Group's DAZN sports streaming service, which is due to launch in the US later this summer, with Hearn's recently agreed to eight-year, $1 billion deal to provide boxing content due to begin in September.

He said on Instagram: 'Dear Anthony Joshua fans, since your acting dumb, delusional or just plain Stupid here you go, breaking news.

Joshua, who won his first world title by stopping Charles Martin in 2016, scored his biggest victory to date the following year by rising from the canvas to knock out former champion Wladimir Klitschko in front of 90,000 spectators in London.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER