AC Milan handed two-year ban from European competitions

Tanya Simon
June 29, 2018

The statement said the club are "ready to pay for the errors made in the past" and "have the utmost respect for the rules, but we expect equality".

AC Milan have launched legal action after they were banned from next season's Europa League by UEFA following an investigation under Financial Fair Play.

Milan have been excluded from participating in European competition for the next two years for failing to meet Financial Fair Play regulations.

UEFA announced last month that the seven-time European champions had failed to convince officials they are financially sound and referred the case to the adjudicatory chamber of its financial control unit to recommend an appropriate punishment. European football's governing body rejected both a voluntary agreement at the end of a year ago and a settlement agreement last month.

If it is not approved, then the seat of the "Rosso-Neri" in the next draw of League of Europe will take Fiorentina and Atalanta will have the right to start in qualification.

Marouane Fellaini ‘agrees Manchester United extension’ until 2020
Fellaini had previously teased fans over his future by stating a decision would be revealed soon. It had been expected that he would leave the club.

However, Milan said later Wednesday that they will appeal against the decision.

Gennaro Gattuso replaced the sacked Vincenzo Montella in November, also leading Milan to the final of the Coppa Italia, where they lost to Juventus, and the last 16 of the Europa League.

A final decision would be sought urgently by both Milan and UEFA since the second qualifying round for the Europa League begins on July 26.

Milan have incurred losses of €255 million in the past three seasons - significantly more than the €30 million allowed - and late a year ago a Milan delegation reportedly travelled to UEFA headquarters to explain the current business plan.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER