Treacherous rescue set to resume for boys still stuck in Thai cave

Daniel Fowler
July 9, 2018

Authorities resumed extractions on Monday of a youth football team from a flooded cave in Thailand a day after four boys were rescued.

Some took time on Sunday to pay tribute to Saman Gunan, a Thai Navy SEAL who died while trying to ensure the boys had enough oxygen.

Dozens of divers have arrived at the cave on Sunday morning.

Governor of Chiang Rai province, Narongsak Osatanakorn, said: "Today is D-Day".

Hours after four boys were confirmed to have been rescued from the cave, Musk tweeted a video of a small submarine-like vessel being tested in a swimming pool.

On Sunday, as news of the first rescues flashed worldwide, President Donald Trump tweeted for the first time about the soccer team, saying the United States was working "very closely with the government of Thailand to help get all of the children out of the cave and to safety". It depends on the water and water level.

The unsafe operation to rescue the 12 boys and their coach began early Sunday morning and the entire operation involves 90 expert divers from around the world. "It is very much a race against time".

Boys trapped in a Thailand cave are now being rescued in a landmark operation that has captured the world's attention.

"Those unrelated to the rescue operation, please evacuate the area immediately".

U.S. destroyers sail through Taiwan Strait
The last time a US aircraft carrier transited the Taiwan Strait was in 2007, during the administration of George W. Marines usually guard missions in countries with which Washington has formal diplomatic ties.

The boys have been trapped in the Tham Luang Nang Non cave since June 23 when they and their coach entered and were then cut off by flash flooding.

The boys were each being led by two divers as they wind 4 kilometers (2.5 miles) through pitch darkness, trudge through thick mud, clamber over slippery jagged rocks and dive through narrow passageways swirling with cold, strong currents.

Thongchai said doctors were checking to make sure the children are free from serious infections such as leptospirosis and meliodosis. We have prepared the helipad.

The Thai navy SEALs gave the boys crash courses in using diving masks and breathing underwater.

Thirteen medical teams have been stationed outside the cave - one for each of the boys and their coach.

On that Saturday two weeks ago, Nopparat did not know where Ekapol would be bringing the young soccer team but thought it would be a learning experience for him to manage them on his own.

Thai soldiers unload diving gear and rescue equipment during the ongoing rescue operation. So far the only direct contact has been through handwritten notes from the boys - and replies from their parents.

Rescuers part of the Thai navy SEAL partaking in the operation posted on Facebook showing hands locked with a caption vowing to bring the boys home. Narongsak said the healthiest have been taken out first, and the next phase of the operation would start in 10-20 hours.

Media members walking to the area opposite the hospital said that reporters, hospital staff members or nearby residents were not allowed to take photos by camera or phones in the area or officials guarding the front area would confiscate their devices.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article