Thai Cave Rescue: Sixth Boy Leaves, Six Soccer Players and Coach Remain

Tanya Simon
July 10, 2018

Officials have generally waited hours to confirm rescues.

The eight rescued boys were recuperating in a hospital from their ordeal huddling on a dry patch inside the Tham Luan Nang Non cave that became flooded by monsoon rains while they were exploring it June 23.

A ninth boy was rescued from a flooded cave in northern Thailand on Tuesday as divers were carrying out what they hope is a final mission to save the youngsters and their soccer coach trapped for more than two weeks.

Rescue leader Narongsak Osatanakorn said at a sudden press conference on Tuesday that the mission began at 10.08 a.m. local time and that everyone in the cave is expected to be rescued today. Rescue mission chief and former governor of the Chiang Rai province Narongsak Osottanakorn said the boys were not being named out of respect for the families who still had sons trapped in the cave.

The first thing the Thai boys rescued from a cave said was that they missed their homes and were happy to be out of the cave, officials at the the Chiang Rai hospital said on Sunday.

Having completed this section, the boys are then handed over to separate, specialist rescue teams, who help assist them through the remainder of the cave, much of which they can wade through.

"All eight are in good health, no fever. everyone is in a good mental state", Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, permanent secretary of the public health ministry, told reporters on Tuesday at Chiang Rai hospital in the clearest update on their condition so far.

Looting follows protests in Haitian capital
They had only been announced on Friday, while many Haitians were engrossed in a World Cup football match. Many have been canceled because of the unrest which has given way to looting and violent clashes.

The same process was used Sunday for at least one of the four boys rescued in the first attempt at getting the 12 boys and their coach out of the underground cave complex.

Two of the boys are now being treated for minor lung infections.

While the first group to be rescued has been reunited with their parents, officials said they had to meet from a distance ― "through glass". The news comes after four boys were rescued when the operation began on Sunday. Seven boys remain trapped inside with their coach.

Thai Navy SEALS on Monday proudly announced their latest successful extraction of four youth soccer players trapped in a cave by adopting the U.S. Navy's "Hooyah!" Workers have been laboring around the clock to pump water out of the cave, and authorities said Monday that heavy downpours overnight did not raise water levels inside.

They were celebrating a second triumph after divers guided four more boys through tight passages and flooded caverns to safety Monday. Today's mission took about nine hours, two fewer than yesterday's. The rescued boys are in quarantine, BBC News reports.

Earlier, Mr Musk said he would leave the device at the cave "in case it may be useful in future".

Thailand's prime minister welcomed Musk into the cave complex late Monday, with the American later tweeting a standing offer of a mini-submarine escape pod to help the remaining five leave the tunnels.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article