3rd mission underway at Thai cave, aims to rescue all left

Clay Curtis
July 12, 2018

But scattered monsoon rains continued to risk percolating through the limestone cave walls to flood the tunnels with water.

They had been exploring the Tham Luang Nang Non cave complex in northern Thailand on June 23 when heavy rains and rising floodwaters blocked the team's path, leaving the group unable to get out.

Another new video clip to emerge on Wednesday came from the Thai Navy SEAL team which led the rescue effort, showing them pulling at least one of the boys through the cave on a stretcher, heavily sedated.

"To not receive food, we can still survive for many months but what's necessary is water, which the cave has, and around this time there's a lot in the cave, and they chose clean water to drink", he said.

He wrote in a tweet posted this morning: "Mini-sub is ready if needed".

The children would be in the hospital for up to 10 days, the doctor said, adding that they require 30 more days to recover at home. "And it is up to the environment. But if the rain god doesn't help, then it could be challenging".

Narongsak said: "Today is D-Day". "We should learn from this experience to prevent it from happening again".

British divers found the 13, huddled on a muddy bank in a partly flooded chamber several kilometres inside the complex, on Monday last week.

The second group of four rescued on Monday are aged 12 to 14.

Rescued schoolboys are moved from a military helicopter to an awaiting ambulance at a military airport in Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 9, 2018.

McIlroy looks on the bright side ahead of British Open
All three hunted down Van Rooyen. "It's always nice to play links golf in the run up to an Open and I love the challenge of it". It also offers some redemption on Irish soil after the 33-year-old finished second to Rory McIlroy at this event in 2016.

If all goes according to plan, the remaining boys, their coach, and the doctor and Navy SEAL divers who have been with them in the cave will be brought out today.

Authorities had closely guarded the details of the boys' condition, who will be monitored in hospital for a week.

"The rescue has been enormous", said volunteer helper Somjit Saenset, 56.

"I want to hug him. and I want to tell him that I'm happy", he said.

It is understood that none of the boys will be discharged for at least seven days.

Narongsak decided on Sunday to launch the rescue operation after being assured the water had receded and the boys' health was improving thanks to nourishment given them by the SEALs team.

The eight boys rescued after being trapped for more than two weeks were described as generally healthy.

If medical tests show no dangers, after another two days parents will be able to enter the isolation area dressed in sterilized clothing and staying 2 meters away from the boys, said Tosthep Bunthong, Chiang Rai Public Health Chief. The extraction started on Sunday and eight of the children have been successfully brought out.

Some family members have been allowed to visit the boys in hospital, but are only allowed to observe them from behind a glass window. "But when I saw that he was alive and breathing, it felt very good".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER