North Korean Delegation Reportedly Doesn’t Show Up For Meeting With U.S

Clay Curtis
July 12, 2018

North Korea did not take kindly to the content of Pompeo's visit, which covered what the US definition of denuclearization is and what would be needed for sanctions relief.

The North, instead, reportedly proposed holding general-level military talks with the United Nations Command (UNC) to discuss returning the war remains to the U.S. It is unknown whether the North Korean side gave any prior notification to the U.S. about this.

Pompeo insisted the talks were making progress but as soon as he left, the North's foreign ministry berated him over his "unilateral and gangster-like" demands and for offering no constructive steps on the United States side.

The President's release of the letter comes shortly after North Korean officials failed to show up to a meeting with US leadership.

Pyongyang has reportedly asked the United Nations Command Armistice Commission to upgrade the talks to a higher level to include a US general, South Korea's foreign ministry said.

The U.S. Embassy in Seoul said it had no immediate information.

US officials and experts have said the shift in attitude was to be expected as the North Koreans are known for brinkmanship and trying to up the ante ahead of tough negotiations over their nuclear missile program.

"North Korea apparently wants a USA general to appear at the table to quickly finalize the repatriation issue", a source told Yonhap.

Trump also announced that the USA would suspend "war games" with South Korea.

Emmanuel Macron rubbishes Donald Trump's increased North Atlantic Treaty Organisation spending claim
Trump would give an unscheduled news conference on Thursday in Brussels amid the tumult over his demands for increased spending. Trump will depart Britain Friday for Finland to prepare for a summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin Monday in Helsinki.

In the meeting at the Korean Peninsula's demilitarized zone, the two sides had been expected to discuss the return of USA troops' remains from the 1950-53 Korean War - an arrangement that the State Department had announced after Secretary Michael R. Pompeo's visit to Pyongyang last weekend.

"If those requests were "gangster-like" then the world is a gangster, because there was a unanimous decision at the U.N. Security Council about what needs to be achieved", Pompeo replied.

President Trump and Kim Jong Un during the Singapore summit.

The two countries technically remain in conflict after the 1950-53 Korean War ended without a peace treaty, and all cross-border civilian contact - including trips, letters, or emails - are banned unless endorsed by both governments.

On June 23, the Pentagon confirmed that it had moved 100 wooden coffins to the DMZ to receive the remains that North Korea promised to return and would soon move another 158 metal transfer cases to the border.

President Trump tweeted out the note, dated July 6, on Thursday.

North Korea is not messing around.

Follow Frances Martel on Facebook and Twitter.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER