Thai cave mission successfully rescues soccer team and their coach

Clay Curtis
July 13, 2018

"The 12 Wild Boars and coach have emerged from the cave and they are safe", the Thai navy SEAL unit said on its official Facebook page.

The soccer team and their coach entered the Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai province in northern Thailand on June 23 and were trapped by floodwaters.

The rest four boys and their coach that are still trapped in the cave will be pulled out in a final mission that has resumed on Tuesday.

Last Friday, an ex-Navy SEAL died while placing oxygen tanks along the 4.7-kilometer (2.9-mile) evacuation route.

"Water levels are the same like the last two days", he said, adding that rescue efforts were expected to faster than they had been before.

Last week, Musk sent engineers from two of his companies, SpaceX and Boring Co., to assist Thai officials in the rescue effort, which comprises a large team of worldwide diving, engineering and medical experts, among other professionals.

Rescued schoolboys are moved from a military helicopter to an awaiting ambulance at a military airport in Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 9, 2018.

"On behalf of the global football community, I would like to join you in expressing my deepest sympathies and support to the families of the players and coach, as well as my solidarity with the people of Thailand at this time of great concern", Infantino wrote in a FIFA statement.

It could take Thai rescuers about four days to rescue all of the remaining team members.

Narongsak Osottanakorn, head of the rescue operation, said a team of divers went back into the cave Monday morning, local time. But rescue officials were also anxious about dwindling oxygen levels in the cave. Tuesday's operation began just after 10am. Efforts were again suspended for the day Monday after the second set of four boys were extracted.

England hailed as heroes after World Cup heartache
We imagine if - sorry when - England get through to the final, BA and other companies will have to up their game even more. I can't ask more of him as a captain or as a man over the last three weeks".

"Today (Tuesday) we hope to be faster", Narongsak added, of the complex and unsafe operation that involves diving through narrow, flooded chambers.

Karadzic lauded the boys as incredibly strong individuals, given the fact that they were trapped inside the cave and could not be with their loved ones for over two weeks.

Jesada Chokedamrongsuk, permanent secretary of the ministry of public health, said: "All eight rescued boys today are in good health, none have a fever".

He said two of them possibly have a lung infection but all eight are generally "healthy and smiling".

"The kids are footballers so they have high immune systems", Jesada said.

The parents of first four boys can see them through a glass wall, but no physical contact is allowed.

Citing a former SEAL diver with the Thai Navy, the BBC reported that some of the boys were asleep, while others were "groggy".

Weather forecasters warned heavy rain could hit the area through the week.

He congratulated Thai relevant forces on the successful conduction of the rescue mission with the effective assistance of global experts and rescuers. Monday's mission took about nine hours, two fewer than Sunday's.

Musk says he hopes the device could help in the rescue of the remaining people.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article