CDC investigating 'brain eating amoeba' at surf resort in Waco

Grant Boone
October 1, 2018

A portion of a water system in Louisiana has tested positive for a brain-eating amoeba.

Fabrizio Stabile's family says the 29-year-old complained of a severe headache on September 16, and by the following day he was incoherent and unable to get out of bed.

Stabile died at the Atlantic City Medical Center in New Jersey on September 21, days after returning home from Texas, NJ.com reported.

Syabile was pronounced brain dead on Sep. The amoeba is only contracted through the nose, once it enters the nose it travels to the brain where it causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is usually fatal.

Stabile was remembered as an avid outdoors lover who loved to surf and snowboard.

Normally, people are infected when contaminated water enters through their nose, according to the agency.

Infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, like lakes and rivers.

Lindsey Graham: I will be in the National Basketball Association before Kavanaugh is convicted
However, Graham also insisted that Kavanaugh did not deserve to face an FBI investigation, arguing that the judge is fit to serve. Word got out after she reported a sexual assault to the dean of her community college in upstate NY .

Naegleria fowleri infections are rare.

Officials with the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention are testing the Waco surf resort's water for Naegleria fowleri.

BSR Cable Park owner Stuart E. Parsons Jr. said it will continue to comply with requests related to the investigation of Fabrizio Stabile's death.

Parsons said his resort's wave pool is in compliance with the CDC's "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

The surf resort has closed pending the test results from the CDC, he said.

According to the CDC, the fatality rate for the amoeba is over 97 percent. Most infections occur from exposure to contaminated recreational water.

"By the time Fabrizio was diagnosed, it was too late to administer the drug that had previously been provided to three of the only five known survivors in North America", the GoFundMe page said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER