Khashoggi killing: Trump slams 'worst cover-up ever'

Clay Curtis
Октября 27, 2018

A person "familiar with the audio" told the Washington post that it was "compelling" and could lead the USA to hold Saudi Arabia accountable. The event had been supposed to usher in a new era of openness to business in the kingdom but many executives and media outlets pulled out in the wake of Khashoggi's disappearance.

The State Department later told media that 21 Saudis are under visa penalties. However, the secretary did say that the USA will make sure its decisions are based on "real facts that we can confirm". We want to keep our journalism open and accessible and be able to keep providing you with news and analyses from the frontlines of Israel, the Middle East and the Jewish World.

The move to banish the Saudi nationals is the first step the Trump administration has taken against the country since officials admitted Khashoggi was killed inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2. "It was carried out poorly and the cover-up was one of the worst in the history of cover-ups", Trump declared in the Oval Office.

Saudi Arabia has blamed the killing on "rogue agents". "What we heard from Saudi Arabia so far is by no means sufficient", he said.

While addressing the Turkish parliament on Tuesday, Erdogan also condemned the conflicting reports that have emerged surrounding Khashoggi's killing.

When asked by reporters to comment on Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's speech about the case, Pence said it "flies in the face of earlier assertions that have been made by the Saudi regime".

"In terms of what we ultimately do, I'm going to leave it very much - in conjunction with me - I'm going to leave it up to Congress", Trump said, adding he hopes a decision will be bipartisan. Among them, he said: "The body of Jamal Khashoggi is still missing - why is that?"

Saudi officials said he was accidentally strangled after getting into a fistfight with a Saudi security team.

Earlier on Saturday, Saudi Arabia admitted that Khashoggi died in a brawl in its Istanbul consulate following more than two weeks of denials, but did not give any explanation on the cause of his death. On video footage he did not appear to be carrying belongings when he entered the consulate that day.

Читайте также: Israel's Netanyahu pays surprise visit to Oman

Over the weekend, a Saudi official told ABC News that Khashoggi died when he was "placed in a chokehold position" to stop him from leaving the consulate and calling for help.

It was the first concrete step by the Donald Trump administration after the disclosure of Khashoggi's death in the Saudi consulate in Turkey's Istanbul, Time reported. Saudis have long had in place efforts to negotiate and reconcile with dissidents, the official said. "Therefore the adjudication of these ..."

"Blaming some intelligence members for this matter will neither satisfy us nor the global community", stated the Turkish president.

Turkey is pursuing the case, Erdogan said, as both a "representative of humanity's shared conscience and also for its sovereign rights".

The 15 Saudis convened at the consulate about an hour before Khashoggi was due to arrive, the president said.

"The first thing they did is to remove the hard disk in the camera system of the consulate", Erdogan said.

Erdogan's comments echoed widespread skepticism from the worldwide community over Saudi Arabia's shifting explanations for Khashoggi's disappearance. Mutreb then explained the teams' intention to bring Khashoggi back to Saudi Arabia. He was sacked by the Saudi Kingdom on Friday, along with Saud al-Qahtani, who was a top aide to Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said on Thursday that Ankara had shared information with some parties who sought additional details.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Other reports by

Discuss This Article