Officials confirm new viral case amid outbreak

Grant Boone
November 5, 2018

The state Health Department confirmed in a statement the "medically fragile child" at the Wanaque Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation had the adenovirus infection.

Those affected range in age from toddlers to young adults, with the vast majority under age 18.

The children became ill between September 26 and October 29, leading to 10 children dying and other pediatric patients with severely compromised immune systems fighting for their lives.

Officials have said there is not a wider public health concern stemming from the outbreak.

"We are working closely with the facility to conduct respiratory illness surveillance and ensure all infection control protocols are continuously followed", New Jersey Health Commissioner Dr. Shereef Elnahal said.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control was assisting state health officials with testing for the respiratory virus.

Health officials also say that there are four cases of adenovirus at a pediatric facility in Voorhees, but that the strains are different.

Amazon offers US customers free holiday shipping to compete with Target
Beginning today, Amazon is offering free shipping without a minimum purchase amount requirement to all U.S. customers. More than 3 million items will eligible for same-day delivery during the holiday season, if you're a prime member.

Adenovirus has an incubation period of two to 14 days, meaning that symptoms typically appear two to 14 days after exposure to the virus.

No new residents are being admitted for the duration of the outbreak, which won't be declared over until the center can go four weeks without any new cases. But it can be serious in people with weakened immune systems, like those at the centre.

Elnahal had earlier said all the cases of the outbreak occurred in a respiratory, or ventilator, unit.

The outbreak in New Jersey was caused by adenovirus type 7, the health department said.

It said that at least 27 children at the center have become ill, CNN reported.

Poulos's daughter, who had required breathing and feeding tubes as part of her normal care, was transferred to another hospital with a fever but was later transferred back to the Wanaque facility, where she died last week.

Officials have ordered the facility to stop admitting new patients until the outbreak ends.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article