1 dead in Melbourne stabbing; man attacked cops before being shot

Clay Curtis
November 9, 2018

HUNDREDS of police have swooped on Bourke Street in Melbourne's CBD after a auto reportedly burst into flames and a man began attacking police with a knife.

The attacker was shot by police after confronting officers on a busy city street, authorities said.

One of the stabbed people was dead at the scene and two others were taken to a hospital.

Footage from the Bourke Street scene shows a man making stabbing gestures at two uniformed officers near a burning vehicle before he was shot.

The message over the loudspeakers says: "This is Victoria Police, please evacuate the area".

Ashton declined to identify the attacker but said he was from Somalia and known to police.

Video posted on Twitter and broadcasted on television showed an officer raise his weapon and then a shot is heard before the attacker falls to the ground clutching his chest.

The other two are into the hospital including one suffering from a neck injury and is suspected to be in critical condition.

Counter-terrorism police have been notified, and they are investigating, although there is no immediate indication the incident is terror related. However, police said they are unsure how the fire began. He also attempted to attack police who arrived on the scene before being shot in the chest by an officer.

Melbourne attack: One dead after deadly Bourke Street knife rampage
Forensic investigators combed through the scene late Friday, where the dead victim's body lay covered in a white plastic sheet. Police said the man got out of a pickup truck, which then caught fire, and attacked three bystanders with a knife.

At least two members of the public bravely stepped in to help police.

"There's no known link to terrorism at this stage". They said they heard screams and cries from the crowd before they were rushed from the area.

The two wounded stabbing victims were in the hospital.

Mr Hair said the assailant was dressed in Islamic clothing and of African appearance and about six foot four inches tall.

In a series of tweets, Daniel Andrews, the premier of Victoria state, called the incident "an act of terror struck the heart of our city, in a place where past wounds have still not healed".

"There was a massive flame and bang, just smoke and lots of people", witness Shelley Reid told CNN affiliate Nine News.

Police initially responded to reports of a vehicle on fire at the corner of Bourke and Swanston streets.

Witnesses can make a statement at Melbourne West Police Station.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article