Melbourne attack: Man arrested after fire and stabbings

Clay Curtis
November 9, 2018

One person died and two others were injured after after being stabbed in Australia's Melbourne.

Police responded to the scene on Bourke Street after receiving reports of a vehicle on fire, Victoria Police Superintendent David Clayton told reporters shortly after the incident.

The auto burst into flames near the corner of Swanston and Bourke streets about 4.20pm on Friday and while the vehicle was quickly extinguished, reports soon followed of a knife attack.

He has been arrested and taken to hospital in a critical condition, police said.

"There is no known links to terrorism at this stage we will keep an open mind as to whether there is any link".

Victoria Police said a bomb response unit had been called to the area and was now making the scene safe.

"A second person has been taken to hospital with a head injury". The condition of the surviving pair is unknown. "A third person has also been taken to hospital".

As police officers reached the scene they were confronted by a knife-wielding man who tried to attack them.

'The exact circumstances are yet to be determined at this stage.

Mariota magic as Titans stifle stumbling Cowboys
The Titans took a 21-14 lead when Mariota hit Smith for a 7-yard scoring pass with 5:44 left in the third quarter. "Listen, Dak is the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys ", Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Tuesday.

The area has been cordoned off and the public is urged to avoid the area.

Mr Hair said two civilians became involved as well as two police, trying to stop the man from his attack.

There were large spots of what appears to be blood near the figure, as were a pair of men's black lace-up shoes.

Police officers at the scene on Bourke Street in Melbourne after a man attacked others with a knife.

Police are telling all members of the public to avoid the CBD, although dozens of witnesses are being interviewed by officers at the scene.

"He seemed to be waving something, people around me screamed that he had a knife, but I couldn't see clearly from where I was", a witness told ABC News.

"Me and the managers ran out and that's when we saw the auto on fire and then we saw the guy on the floor and we wanted to help, there were two blokes helping him out already, he was face down pools of blood around his face", he told AAP. Police response was swift and overwhelming.

About 6pm, Victoria Police Superintendent David Clayton holds a press conference just metres from where the incident unfolded.

"And then I heard one loud bang".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article