Melbourne stabbing being treated as terrorism

Clay Curtis
November 11, 2018

It is not yet clear whether he deliberately set the vehicle on fire but Mr Ashton said the auto had been laden with gas cylinders. A male person was in that vehicle.

Witnesses called the stabbings "random", the ABC reports.

He was shot in the chest after attempting to assault police officers and taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital, where he died of his injuries around 30 minutes later.

"We are now treating this as a terrorism event", said Graham Ashton, police chief commissioner for Victoria state.

According to media reports, the IS had claimed responsibility for the attack via the Amaq news agency, which said the man was "one of Islamic State fighters" and had responded to IS calls for attacks in countries that are part of the worldwide coalition fighting the militants in Syria and Iraq.

Video from the scene showed a man swinging a knife at two police officers near a burning auto before he was shot.

"At the same time passers-by were calling out that members of the public had been stabbed", he added.

Australian counter-terrorism investigators were searching two properties in suburban Melbourne on Saturday morning, the day after a man killed one person in what authorities said was a terrorist attack in the city.

Supt Clayton confirmed that when officers arrived, they were quickly cornered by the armed man as the situation escalated.

After Khalif emerged from the vehicle, he then stabbed three men - one fatally - before his quest for martyrdom ended with police bullets.

Police have cordoned off a section of the central business district in Australia's second-largest city, but are not looking for other suspects. He is under police guard.

"Three people have been stabbed". One of the injured was reportedly in suspected critical condition with a neck injury, while another had sustained a head injury.

The person is known to police.

Nevertheless, members of the public have been heaping praise on Trolley Man for his bravery.

A man, believed to be the driver, stabbed three people and was then shot by police. Police initially responded to a report of a vehicle on fire near the corner of Swanston Street about 4.20pm.

Sri Lanka President Maithripala Sirisena dissolves Parliament amid political turmoil
At least eight have switched sides, but at least 120 deputies in the 225-seat parliament remain loyal to Wickramasinghe. Sirisena suspended parliament to give himself more time to engineer defections, according to the opposition.

Police said that his improvised explosive device was made up of gas cylinders and some form of lighter and "certainly wasn't sophisticated".

The Age is reporting the man was shot by police.

"The exact circumstances are yet to be determined".

She looked through the back window of the tram and noticed a auto on fire.

Witness Chris Newport, 60, described how he had been returning from a job interview when he heard a loud noise and saw a truck on fire, rolling across the tram tracks before a second, louder bang.

Neapoli Cafe in Russell Place has been closed, with staff remaining there and waiting for further instructions from police.

Police have also urged the public to avoid the Street after witnesses describe a auto bursting into flames.

However, the exact reason for the stabbing and burning of the auto has not been ascertained as of yet.

At around 4.30pm, a auto, filled with explosives, crashed and exploded.

Bourke Street is now blocked between Swanston and Russell streets, and people are being advised to avoid the area.

Bourke St is blocked off.

"People were running everywhere".

"They are in a suspected critical condition", paramedics said.

We're live with Superintendent David Clayton following an incident on Bourke Street in the CBD this afternoon. "We will provide information as it comes to hand".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article