Kotex Tampons Recalled After 'Unraveling' During Use

Daniel Fowler
December 15, 2018

The products can be identified by distinct lot numbers found on the bottom of the package.

Kimberly-Clark has issued a voluntary product recall of some of its tampons after reports that the feminine hygiene product unraveled or broke apart in consumers' bodies.

The particular products included in the recall were manufactured between October 7, 2016, and October 16, 2018.

Kimberly-Clare, the makers of Kotex, recalled its U by Kotex Sleek tampons after the company received reports some users needed medical assistance to remove pieces which had unraveled.

Geminid meteor shower fireball caught on cop's dashcam
On the first slide, the doodle shows an illustration of our solar system, with the Sun becoming the second O in the logo. While the August Perseid meteor shower is more famous, experts are saying to get outside for this one as well.

And if you've experienced a problem actually using the tampons, you can report it to the Food and Drug Administration through the MedWatch website. "There also have been a small number of reports of infections, vaginal irritation, localized vaginal injury, and other symptoms", the company announced. No other U by Kotex-brand products are subject to recall.

However, if you have travelled and purchased tampons in the U.S. recently, it may be worth checking the list of lot numbers here.

If you purchased these products and experience any of the following symptoms, you should seek medical attention: vaginal injury, which includes pain, bleeding or discomfort; vaginal irritation, such as itching or swelling; urogenital infections, including bladder, vaginal bacterial and yeast infections; or other symptoms such as hot flashes, abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting. A lot number checking tool is on the website ubykotex.com. Retailers have been instructed to remove any of the affected products they may have in stock, and users with any in their possession should "stop using the product immediately and promptly contact Kimberly-Clark". Any time a foreign object is left in the vagina, there's risk of infection and potentially toxic shock syndrome. Kimberly-Clark calls the issue a "quality-related defect that could impact the performance of this product".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER