United Nations rights office says Saudi trial in Khashoggi case "not sufficient"

Clay Curtis
January 7, 2019

"The Saudis should have a credible narrative of what happens in the consulate and afterwards", the senior official said, The Guardian reported.

The US has said the Saudi Arabian version of events surrounding Jamal Khashoggi's death has not hit the "threshold of credibility" just yet, despite Riyadh prosecuting suspects.

Pompeo wants both the perpetrators and the planners of the killing to be identified by the Saudis and appropriate punishments are meted out, the official added.

Khashoggi, who wrote critically of the crown prince in columns for The Washington Post, was killed and dismembered by Saudi agents inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul previous year.

Khashoggi, an occasional contributor to The Washington Post, went missing after entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on October 2. The State Department said in a statement that the top diplomat will also "seek an update on the status of the investigation into the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi".

Netflix faced criticism Wednesday from human rights groups for pulling an episode in Saudi Arabia of comedian Hasan Minhaj's "Patriot Act" series that criticized the kingdom's powerful crown prince.

Kevin Sweeney, Pentagon Chief of Staff, resigns
Department spokeswoman Dana White also left her post after the president's surprise announcement on Syria. Rear Admiral Sweeney said in a statement that "the time is right to return to the private sector".

U.S. President Donald Trump, who has cultivated a close relationship with the Crown Prince, said last month that he stood by the Crown Prince despite the Central Intelligence Agency assessment and pleas from U.S. senators for Mr. Trump to condemn the kingdom's de facto ruler.

He said there was no timeline for the withdraw and that it would be "heavily coordinated" with United States allies in the region so as not to let up pressure on Isis, or leave a vacuum in areas of northern and southern Syria where U.S. troops have been operating.

A spokeswoman for the UN's top human rights official, Michelle Bachelet, said on Friday that the trial is "not sufficient" and does not meet the requirements of an independent and worldwide enquiry.

Furthermore, Pompeo is likely to raise the case with Saudi leaders and "continue to push for accountability and credibility from the Saudi leadership as they move through the legal process that began earlier this week", the publication quoted sources, as saying.

Pompeo will be visiting eight countries between January 8 and 15, namely Jordan, Egypt, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Oman and Kuwait.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER