Student Died After Eating Spagetti Left on Kitchen Counter For Five Days

Grant Boone
January 31, 2019

The young man, 20, became violently ill, vomiting frequently, after scoffing the leftover spaghetti with tomato sauce.

Fecal swabs revealed the presence of Bacillus cereus, a bacteria responsible for "fried rice syndrome", food poisoning commonly caused by leaving fried rice dishes sitting at room temperature for several hours.

Only identified as AJ, the 20-year-old came home from school one day and made a decision to reheat pasta from a few days before.

He ate it before heading out to play sport, but was forced to return home half an hour later when he came down with headaches, nausea and abdominal pain.

According to Foodsafety.gov, illness caused by bacillus cereus can be caused by a "variety of foods".

He was found dead the next morning by his parents, who were anxious when he did not wake up for college.

AJ died in 2008 and the case was featured in the US Journal of Clinical Microbiology.

Polar vortex strikes North America
Sub-zero temperatures already blanketing parts of Canada were already sweeping across the US Midwest and towards the East Coast. The midwest remained the most affected region as temperatures dipped to below -18 degrees Celsius.

Over the next few hours, AJ started throwing up, but believing it was just a case of food poisoning he drank lots of water, had some medicine and went to bed. The authors summarized the cause of his death as "a lethal intoxication case" following "the ingestion of pasta contaminated with Bacillus cereus".

When the spagetti was tested by the National Reference Laboratory for Food-borne Outbreaks, scientists discovered that the meal was so full of toxins, it had caused his liver to fail. However, very recently Dr Bernard who a licenced practitioner who studies and also owns a YouTube channel where he shares freakish medical cases described the whole case in form of a video and talked about how his liver failed. "But for AJ a second agent was found", Professor Bernard said in the video.

"The food poisoning that results from it is usually self-limiting, meaning one can recover from it through intrinsic bodily functions".

Dr Bernard said: 'Many people eat pasta, or any other form of noodles, that are leftover for a day or two and they're fine. If the food smells amusing, it's always better to be safe than sorry'.

The pasta was left out on the side for two days before it was put in the fridge.

'I don't know why anyone would leave perishable food in the kitchen for 5 days and think it's okay to still eat it, ' said added.

As scary as this story may be, it shouldn't stop you from eating leftover pasta or rice again.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER