U.S. farmer cuts off leg after becoming trapped in auger

Clay Curtis
May 18, 2019

A United States farmer is recovering after cutting off his own leg with a pocket knife to save himself from a piece of farm equipment he had become caught in.

When Kurtis Kaser realized his leg was stuck and being pulled into the machine, he knew he had to act quickly.

Kaser, 63, told KETV that he had told himself "this ain't good, this is not good at all" while attempting to remove his trapped leg from the device.

He was rushed to the hospital, where he spent weeks undergoing rehabilitation before returning home on May 10.

His leg got stuck in a piece of farm equipment as Kaser was unloading corn. "I said, 'The only way I'm getting out of here is to cut it off, ' so I just started sawing at it". The Farmer from the USA state of Nebraska may have escaped a painful death, "he would have done the": to amputate his own leg with a pocket knife.

"I felt it try to grab me again", he said. I don't want to give up'.

Kaser said he hopes his story will serve as a cautionary tale and maybe make at least one farmer slow down a bit.

Sherpa scales Everest for record 23rd time
Mr Sherpa broke the record past year of 21 summits that he shared with two fellow countrymen, Apa Sherpa and Phurba Tashi Sherpa. He started his summit from Camp IV on Tuesday night and reached the summit point on Wednesday morning, said a basement official.

Mr Kaser, a corn, soybean and hog farmer, said he never lost consciousness during his ordeal, which happened on April 19. "I knew I was done cutting because I felt a amusing feeling, maybe it was a tendon I cut".

'I thought for sure I would pass out, and somehow something told me to keep going, ' he said.

"It was about 150 to 200 feet on rock and gravel and stuff and [I] got to a phone to call".

"But that's why they call it accidents I guess".

"Adrenaline kicked in so much that I don't know if it hurt or not", he said. "I sat up in the chopper and watched all the way to Lincoln", Kaser said.

Kaser's son, Adam, was the first person to arrive at the farm. He was released from a rehab center Friday, and now must wait for his leg to fully heal before he can be fitted for a prosthetic. Some (other patients) won't ever get out of their wheelchairs.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article