Huawei founder: U.S. government 'underestimated our power'

Ruben Fields
May 22, 2019

EE said it's working with Huawei and Google, which makes the Android mobile operating systems to make sure it "can carry out the right level of testing and quality assurance". Huawei has since responded to the ban, saying that they'll continue to issue updates and provide after-sales service.

After the Trump administration's moves last week to restrict the Chinese company's ability to work with us -based suppliers, Google suspended Huawei's Android license - a move that would make it impossible for Huawei-built phones to get software and security updates while also cutting off access to Google-built apps like Gmail and services like the Google Play store.

Huawei consumer group CEO, Richard Yu, has said that the company is ready to deploy its alternative operating system by the fall of 2019.

Google will cut off its services for Huawei under the ban of the US government, with a 90-day temporary reprieve. While the company develops some of its own chips, it relies on US firms for other parts.

"The ban will financially harm the thousands of Americans employed by the USA companies that do business with Huawei", said Catherine Chen, a Director of the Board at Huawei, in a The New York Times article on Friday.

The decision to bar Huawei from receiving US exports marked the latest escalation in the ongoing trade war between the USA and China. These phones will get software updates from Huawei.

Far-right bribes scandal sinks Austria coalition
Two of Kickl's party colleagues were caught on video apparently offering government contracts to a supposed Russian benefactor. The Social Democrats' leader, Pamela Rendi-Wagner, said her party did not rule out bringing its own no-confidence motion.

Despite this, Huawei will continue purchasing chips from US companies and selling Huawei products to USA clients, he said, despite mounting restrictions from the US government. He added, "We are discussing emergency relief measures".

The U.S. has also tried to urge its allies to avoid Huawei as a supplier of fifth-generation (5G) technology.

The Trump administration's order last week cuts Huawei's access to American chips and Google, which makes the Android operating system and services for its smartphones.

"Keeping phones up to date and secure is in everyone's best interests and this temporary license allows us to continue to provide software updates and security patches to existing models for the next 90 days", a Google spokesperson told CNBC. Mobile said they are pausing the launch of Huawei smartphones, including some that can be used on next generation mobile networks, amid uncertainty about devices from the world's No. 2 smartphone maker.

"The founding fathers of the U.S. Constitution would be alarmed when confronted with the actions of the Trump administration", Liu said from Europe in a speech that was broadcast on the YouTube channel of China's English-language broadcaster CGTN. The order, which would ease US exports to the tech giant, is expected to be published on Wednesday.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER