3m Sudan strikes bring country to standstill

Clay Curtis
June 12, 2019

Shops and businesses remained shut and residents stayed indoors in the Sudanese capital Tuesday, as a nationwide civil disobedience campaign aimed at pressuring the military rulers entered a third day.

Arman, deputy head of the SPLM, Malik Agar's faction, was arrested after he arrived in Khartoum on 26 May to participate in negotiations with the TMC, which had deposed then-President Omar Al-Bashir on 11 April, after months of protests.

Internet monitoring platform NetBlocks is reporting a "near total restriction" on Sudan's remaining internet connectivity as of 12:00 p.m. UTC Monday 10 June, amid reports of deadly attacks perpetrated by Sudanese paramilitary groups.

Opposition doctors say at least 118 people have been killed since the raid on the sit-in a week ago.

The new disruption has downed Sudan Telecom's Sudani service, along with Canar Telecom and Mobiltel Zain.

The New York-based group said the RSF violently broke up the protesters' main sit-in camp outside the military's headquarters in Khartoum on June 3.

He said security forces would provide "security to isolated civilians, reopen roads and facilitate the mobility of people, public and private transport and protect markets and strategic state installations".

NASCAR postpones MI race to Monday due to rain
This race was scheduled to take place on Sunday, May 5 but did not take place until Monday, May 6. After drying the track and getting drivers lined up for what NASCAR hoped would be a 3:02 p.m.

The military on Monday announced the arrest of several members of Sudan's regular security forces linked to the violent assault on the protesters, AFP reported, citing a statement carried by state news agency SUNA.

The Forces for Declaration of Freedom and Change, which represents the protesters, said Tuesday they chose to suspend their general strike and campaign for civil disobedience until further notice.

Among their demands, they have called for the military to take responsibility for the deadly crackdown in Khartoum, and agree to an independent probe into the killings. The military has said it a transitional military government will lead the country for 2 years.

A statement from SPLM-N chairman Malik Agar said the three officials had been "denied access to their accommodation" and deported in a military aircraft to Juba, South Sudan's capital.

Arman said on Twitter he had been "deported against my will by a military helicopter from Khartoum to Juba".

On Tuesday, an Ethiopian mediator between the two sides, Mahmoud Dirir, said that talks on restoring a civilian administration would begin soon. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Tibor Nagy was to meet leaders in Sudan just a week after more than 100 people were killed by government backed paramilitary forces.

"Today, the U.S. Congress and Executive Branch-along with the African Union and European Union-have a second chance to create serious consequences for serious crimes and to invest in high-level diplomacy to bring civilian rule to Sudan".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article