Chargers experience drama with potential Melvin Gordon holdout

Tanya Simon
July 12, 2019

If Los Angeles and Gordon can not reach an agreement on a new deal, the star running back would like to be traded and will not report to training camp.

It's wise for Gordon to force the issue; injury and age can quickly diminish a running back's value. The Pro Bowler told the Chargers to either give him a new contract or find him a new home on Thursday, and the situation may spill over into training camp.

Gordon, who was the 15th overall draft pick in the 2015 draft, is set to earn $5.6 million in 2019 on the fifth-year option of his rookie contract, which the Chargers picked up last year.

Of the 61 players in National Football League history with over 1,000 touches in their first four seasons, Gordon's 4.82 yards per touch ranks 38th on the list - his big numbers are equal parts his talent and opportunity alike. Gordon totaled 1,375 yards from scrimmage last season and scored 14 touchdowns in just 12 games.

This is likely a small ripple in the AFC West pond given that the Chargers would be foolish to let Gordon walk.

Spanish judge rules 43-year-old is son of singer Julio Iglesias
The new trial began after lawyer Fernando Osuna argued that new DNA evidence from the USA by an investigator was a 99.9% match. Iglesias plans to appeal the ruling and said the case should never have gone forward because it had been previously dismissed.

Gordon's new contract could be similar to the deals Todd Gurley and Le'Veon Bell signed over the past year.

The 26-year-old has 38 touchdowns over the past three seasons. Gurley signed a new four-year, $60 million deal with the Rams in 2018.

Gordon also reportedly told the Chargers that failure to reach agreement on a contract would result in a trade demand.

All of these factors should combine to create the wrong place at the wrong time for any interest in a potential Dolphins trade for Melvin Gordon.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER