ITV and BBC's new Netflix rival 'BritBox' will cost £5.99 a month

Brenda Watkins
July 19, 2019

The service, already available in the United States, will launch in Blighty in the last quarter of 2019, so we'll be able to watch an endless stream of repeats this Christmas.

"ITV and BBC have made, and continue to make, the programs that both reflect and shape British culture and creativity", said BBC director general Tony Hall.

As a joint venture between United Kingdom broadcasters BBC and ITV, BritBox will bundle in a variety of classic and modern TV shows for a monthly subscription of £5.99 per month ($6.99 in the US).

The commercial broadcaster also said it was commissioning a range of original exclusives from British production houses to be available to United Kingdom viewers of BritBox from 2020.

Naturally, both new and old shows broadcasted by the BBC and ITV, such as Love Island, The Office, Broadchurch and Gavin and Stacey, will also be present.

Anger over airline's response to breastfeeding mum
The furore comes after a mum-of-one revealed that she'd been told to "cover up" on a KLM flight while nursing her baby . I've been a flight attendant at KLM for up to 21 years now and I've seen so many mothers breastfeeding their child".

"With a remit to be daring and different, many future classics will be commissioned and live on BritBox for the future".

BritBox, which launched in the USA and Canada in 2017 and 2018 respectively, is already "exceeding its targets", according to ITV CEO Carolyn McCall. These are exciting times for people who love quality TV. "It's what makes real British TV so special".

"It looks like the BBC are just going to use this service to rinse licence fee payers of even more money by making them pay twice to watch their favourite shows", Harry Fone, a spokesperson for the TaxPayers' Alliance, told the Express in February. In addition, recently-broadcast shows will be available on a catch-up basis, and BritBox's own TV series will begin filtering through in 2020. ITV holds 90% of BritBox's equity with the remaining 10% held by the BBC - though there is an option for the BBC to acquire additional shares up to 25% in total and ITV will have the ability to bring additional investors on board. The new project will be run by Reemah Sakaan, who is now group director of streaming video on demand at ITV.

While a firm date still hasn't been announced, the subscription cost has been revealed, and you'll be setting up a monthly direct debit of £5.99, allowing you to watch all of the BritBox's HD content across multiple screens and devices. Analysts blamed recent prices hikes.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER