Armed man arrested in Sydney stabbing incident

Daniel Fowler
August 13, 2019

An emergency situation unfolded near Wynyard Station at about 2pm when a man armed with a large knife allegedly stabbed a woman at a hotel of the corner of King and Clarence Streets.

Police have linked the murder of a woman to a stabbing rampage in central Sydney which left another woman in hospital.

NSW police commissioner Mick Fuller said: "Information was found on him that would suggest he had some ideologies related to terrorism. but he has no apparent links to other terrorist organisations".

"It is too early to determine whether there were any injuries", spokeswoman said as quoted by the

Video of the man's rampage shows him brandishing a large knife while jumping on a vehicle and screaming "shoot me in the head".

Video shows the man bloodied and carrying a knife as he shouts and climbs on to a vehicle before an onlooker starts to chase him with a chair.

Police say the suspect, who witnesses say yelled "Allahu akbar" - or "God is great" - during the incident, has been arrested and is being questioned.

The woman was rushed to St Vincent's Hospital with a stab wound to her upper back and is in a stable condition.

Police lead away the suspected knifeman after a stabbing attack in Sydney's CBD.

Luke, a professional Thai kick boxer, told the BBC: "I was sat at my desk and heard a massive scream outside".

"We've opened the window and seen the guy wielding a knife and jumping on the bonnet" of a nearby auto, Paul O'Shaughnessy, a former professional footballer, told AFP.

BTS confirm "extended period of rest" for first time since 2013 debut
Hundreds of thousands of fans wrote on the BTS Twitter account - which has 21.3 million followers - to wish them a happy vacation. A year ago they became the first K-pop act to debut at the top of the Billboard Album chart with " Love Yourself: Tear ".

'And I want to acknowledge those people, those members of the public who got involved. They were significantly courageous people ...

He also said the attack appeared to be unprovoked but police were keeping an open mind.

One eyewitness told 10Daily that the fearless citizens didn't stop there, saying, "I ran outside and saw people grabbing poles and bats from a fire truck and started to chase [the man] up the street".

A Sky News reporter and other media reports said the man shouted "shoot me" at police. He said that after the woman was stabbed, the man "attempted to stab multiple people.

Our thoughts are with all those who have been impacted by this violent attack".

The members of the public used plastic chairs from nearby cafes and a plastic crate to subdue the man.

Paul O'Shaughnessy, a former footballer for Bury FC, said: "We saw what was going on and chased the man".

He said the group was assisting police with their ongoing investigation. "They approached the person. with clear evidence of a stabbing previously".

Wood called those who detained the suspect before police got to the scene "heroes".

"A number of crime scenes have been established", a spokesperson said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article