Three dogs die from toxic algae after swimming in North Carolina pond

Clay Curtis
August 14, 2019

A North Carolina woman's three dogs were killed by toxic algae exposure from a pond in a case that is raising awareness of the dangers of pets and water. "We are gutted", explained Martin in a Facebook Post.

'I wish I could do today over.

Melissa Martin, one of the dogs' owners, said that she took the dogs to a local pond in Wilmington, North Carolina, and were having an unbelievable evening playing in the water.

"What started out as a fun night for them has ended in the biggest loss of our lives ..."

Martin has launched a GoFundMe to raise money to construct signs at bodies of water warning about the deadly bacteria.

Martin and Mintz aren't alone.

If you spot the algae, leave the area and don't let your dog drink or swim in the water.

The owners say they had no clue toxins from the algae could stop a dog's liver from functioning.

Toxic algae can be found all over the United States - so dog owners throughout the nation need to be on the lookout.

"Today was absolutely very bad", Ms Fleming wrote.

The dog was in critical condition.

America's number-one sneaker retailer jumps into the subscription business
Along with new sneakers, each box will also come packaged with a special activity guide boasting special illustrations and games. Kids' sneakers typically retail for $60, so monthly subscribers will save about $10 a pair.

But by the time they arrived, Arya was braindead, Fleming said.

The culprit, Martin's veterinarian said, was poisoning from blue-green algae present in the pond where they played.

By midnight on Friday, all three dogs had died, Martin said.

11Alive spoke with Dr. Mark Aubel, Analytical Chemist and President of Greenwater Laboratories, who recently conducted a study on toxic blue-green algae's affect on dogs.

Much of Lake Hopatcong remains closed to swimming and other recreational activities.

More than a third of the state's lakes and a fifth of its streams are impaired, according to a new assessment of the state's waterways.

Waters that are discolored or have scums that are green or blueish-green should be avoided because they likely contain toxins.

In small quantities, algae typically isn't harmful to wildlife or humans. Stormwater from heavy rain has also played a role, experts say, as it can wash fertilizer and other nutrient-laden substances into lakes.

More recent national data on how often these blooms are hurting people and animals is limited (a national, voluntary surveillance system was rebooted by the CDC in 2016).

Health officials say children are also susceptible to being poisoned.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER