Missouri woman's ear discomfort caused by brown recluse spider

Clay Curtis
August 24, 2019

Susie Torres figured she'd gotten water in her left ear and when it wouldn't seem to come, she went to the doctor for help.

When a medical assistant examined her, she immediately ran out of the room.

Torres says that the doctor needed to use "a few tools" and multiple attempts to remove the spider in one piece.

It wasn't an itsy-bitsy spider, it was a poisonous brown recluse spider.

Instead of waiting for the problem to resolve itself, Torres went to the doctor-a decision that might have saved her from some serious pain.

"She came back in and told me it was a spider", Torres said.

Torres said, while she did not know exactly what was in her ear at that point, she did not panic.

China escalates USA trade row with new tariffs
US stocks fell to their lows of the day after Trump's remarks, with the S&P 500 Index down 1.7 per cent as of 12:15 p.m.in NY . President Trump said the delay was meant to ease the effect on US consumers during the holiday shopping season.

Torres says she was horrified to learn that she'd been walking around with the spider in her ear.

Torres, of Kansas City, Missouri, discovered she was wrong when doctors extracted a dime-sized, venomous brown recluse spider, Fox 4 News reported.

"I never thought they would crawl in your ear or any part of your body", Torres said.

She told the network that she has started sleeping with cotton balls in her ears to make sure no other spiders can enter.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a bite from a brown recluse can cause itching, muscle pain, increased sweating, headaches, nausea and/or a fever. But when she went to get her ears checked out, it turned out to be much more.

In the event of a bite, HealthLinkBC recommends applying a cool, wet cloth to the area, avoiding applying a tourniquet and getting to a doctor if severe symptoms occur.

Nonetheless, it's not an insect you would want napping in your ear. An Arkansas woman's leg was amputated in 2018 following a particularly nasty brown recluse bite.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article