Chargers GM tables contract talks with Gordon

Katie Ramirez
September 2, 2019

The running back has been away from the team all summer as he seeks a contract extension worth more than $10 million per year, which is what Bolts GM Tom Telesco and his front office reportedly initially offered Gordon.

Saturday's deadline to finalize 53-man rosters has come and gone, and so has the Los Angeles Chargers' patience with Melvin Gordon.

Gordon has been holding out in hopes of a new contract and the Chargers recently gave him permission to seek a trade. Earlier this month, the Pro Bowl back said he was "just waiting on the call", from Los Angeles regarding a resolution, but after contract talks failed to progress, it was reported that Gordon's holdout was expected to continue into the season. He is seeking an extension in the neighborhood of Todd Gurley, David Johnson and Le'Veon Bell, who average between $13 and $14.4 million per season.

US Open 2019: Serena Williams sweeps into the fourth-round
Martic continued her excellent streak with the start of the second set, taking away to her rival in the first game. I need to be tested, I guess", she said. "Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do".

Gordon did not report to the start of training camp at the end of July, telling the Chargers through his representation that if he does not receive a new deal, he'll sit out and demand a trade. Gordon is entering the final year of his rookie contract after the team picked up his fifth-year option last year.

Without Gordon, the Chargers will go into their opener September 8 against Indianapolis with Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson as their top running backs.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER