[BREAKING] Xenophobia: 187 Nigerians arrive Lagos from South Africa

Clay Curtis
September 12, 2019

In Katlehong, a township around 35 kilometers south east of commercial hub Johannesburg, 755 foreign nationals including 228 children are being cared for at community centers after fleeing violence.

Dabiri-Erewa said a total of 187 Nigerians were evacuated from South Africa as at Wednesday, September 11.

A wave of violent attacks, mostly directed at foreign nationals, gripped parts of Gauteng last week and resulted in the looting of businesses and the destruction of property.

The nationalities of those killed have not been announced but Nigerians, Ethiopians, Congolese and Zimbabweans have been attacked, according to local media. The second batch will be leaving on Thursday September 12. Retaliatory attacks in Nigeria forced South African businesses to shut down for several days, and South Africa temporarily closed its embassy on safety fears.

"Interested Nigerians are therefore advised to liaise with the High Commission of Nigeria in Pretoria and the Consulate General in Johannesburg", it read. Scores of shops owned by Nigerians were destroyed in the wake of the violence.

Mugabe's body heads back to a divided Zimbabwe for burial
But we should weigh the good deeds he takes to his grave versus the few undesirable things that are attributed to him. This will likely break the impasse and allow Mugabe to be buried at the national shrine on Sunday.

Aside Air Peace's offer, Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari announced Monday that his government had also made arrangements for the immediate voluntary evacuation of all Nigerians. They wanted to frustrate the airline and the Nigerian government.

He believes that the Nigerian government should have sorted out the repatriation logistics to avoid the chaos of some people being denied access to the flights.

"I made a decision to leave because I value my life more than anything else because here is very hostile at the moment".

"Since the violence began my family back home have been calling to find out whether we are safe", Mark said.

"They told me they are still trying to resolve the documentation of those wanting to leave", he said. Police have arrested 653 people in connection with the attacks, mostly South African but including foreigners, police minister Bheki Cele said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER