Third bubonic plague case confirmed in inner Mongolia, say officials

Grant Boone
November 19, 2019

On Nov. 12, two patients also from Xilingol League were diagnosed with pneumonic plague in Beijing. A doctor who treated one of them said the patient was seen locally but was sent to Beijing after his condition worsened, The Post previously reported.

The man, who was not named, caught and ate the rabbit on November 5 and appeared unaffected for more than a week.

The third patient with the disease has also being treated at a hospital in Ulanqab in isolation along with 28 other people who were in immediate contact with the patient.

Bubonic plague, specifically, is infamous for killing tens of millions of Europeans in the Middle Ages.

The pneumonic plague is just one of three diseases caused by the Yersinia pestis bacterium.

A assertion from the wellness authority in the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Area north of Beijing explained that as of Saturday the guy was now being dealt with at a medical center in the city of Huade.

Huawei Mate X now on sale in China for $ 2400
Chinese technology giant Huawei has launched its Mate X foldable smartphone in China and was reportedly sold out "within minutes". Those who did not manage to purchase the smartphone will be able to buy when a second batch goes on sale on November 22.

As Emily Feng reports for NPR, the first cases came to light last week, when authorities in Beijing announced that two infected individuals sought treatment at a hospital in the capital. The plague is rarely spread through human contact.

This latter variant is the strain believed to have caused "The Black Death", a vicious pandemic of the plague that killed 75-200 million people in Europe, Asia, and Africa in the 14th century.

Rodent populations have risen in Inner Mongolia after persistent droughts. It can be cured with antibiotics, but is always fatal if left untreated, according to the WHO.

Six patients have died from plague in China since 2014, according to the country's health commission, The New York Times reported. The health commission said in a statement that a 55-year old man had contracted bubonic plague after eating a wild rabbit during a hunting trip.

China has vastly improved its detection and administration of infectious well being situations contemplating that the 2003 outbreak of the extraordinary acute respiratory syndrome, or SARS, that led to 774 deaths, primarily in China and Hong Kong.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article