Alex De Minaur forced out of Adelaide International

Tanya Simon
January 14, 2020

Angelique Kerber serves against Wang Qiang during their first round match at the Adelaide International tennis tournament on Monday.

AUSTRALIAN No.1 Alex de Minaur will fly to Melbourne on Wednesday with his preparation for next week's Australian Open still uncertain following an abdominal injury picked up during last week's ATP Cup. "You have to go and do the work and try to do best in every match", she said.

World No. 1, Queensland's Ash Barty, and Wimbledon champion Simona Halep of Romania will headline the WTA event, which features an extraordinary six players to have won a Grand Slam.

"It was a whirlwind year, but I'm back competing and doing what I love". I was happy to come through and get the chance to play another match here.

"That's how I want to approach rest of my career".

She survived a first set against Kasatkina with five service breaks and secured second place in the last game of the second round.

"I have seen the physios, I have seen the doctors and I will be continuing to do that for the whole of the week and hopefully I will be ready to play in Melbourne", De Minaur said ahead of the Australian Open. Russian Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, American Danielle Collins and Croatian Donna Vekic were women who passed the first hurdle.

Oil prices surge as US-China trade deal nears
Brent futures for March settlement were 64 cents lower at $64.34 a barrel on the ICE Futures Europe Exchange after losing 5.3pc last week.

World No. 2 and defending Australian Open champion Novak Djokovic was originally set to lead the men's ATP tournament, but withdrew from the competition on Saturday.

De Minaur had a busy schedule during the ATP Cup, including playing two matches during Australia's quarter-final win over Great Britain on Thursday.

Alex de Minaur was a late withdrawal from the Adelaide International, while Benoit Paire progressed in Auckland.

Earlier, American qualifier Tommy Paul beat Slovenia's Aljaz Bedene 6-4 6-4 and Brit Daniel Evans accounted for Kazakhstan's Alexander Bublik 7-5 6-2.

Australian wild card James Duckworth lined up a match with second seed Felix Auger-Aliassime after defeating Federico Delbonis 6-4, 6-4.

Sandgren, unseeded this year, beat doubles specialist and local hope Michael Venus 6-4, 6-3, serving up 15 aces along the way.

In a tense tie-breaker, which included a 30-shot rally decided by a Bertens victor, it was the Czech Republic's Strycova and Hsieh, of Chinese Taipei, who prevailed 9-7 after Bertens and Barty had earlier held a match point.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER