Chinese GP postponed due to coronavirus

Daniel Fowler
February 12, 2020

The F1 Grand Prix in China looks set to be indefinitely postponed after FIA chiefs are to meet to discuss the postponement of the April event in what could be the beginning of a torrent of sporting cancellations in the region.

"The FIA, together with the F1, have jointly made a decision to accept this official request from the promoter and postpone the 2020 FIA Formula 1 Chinese Grand Prix, originally scheduled for 19 April".

"The FIA and F1 continue to work closely with the teams, promoter, CAMF and local authorities to monitor the situation".

More than 1,100 people have been killed in China by the virus, which has been named COVID-19 by the World Health Organization.

"We recognise that the postponement of the event is certainly a possibility and you could probably go even further and say a likelihood just given what seems to be transpiring", Formula One Group chief executive officer and executive chairman Carey said.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has declared the coronavirus outbreak a global health emergency.

Australia’s Daniel Ricciardo during last year’s Chinese Grand Prix
Camera IconAustralia’s Daniel Ricciardo during last year’s Chinese Grand Prix. Credit AFP

"All parties will take the appropriate amount of time to study the viability of potential alternative dates later in the year should the situation improve".

If it can not be rescheduled, the cancellation of the Chinese race will pare the calendar back to 21 races from the record 22 Formula One was set for this year. The FIA F1 community looks forward to racing in China as soon as possible and wishes everyone in the country the best during this hard time.

"We're not going to do something that isn't good for us or the teams", he said.

"We had full grand stands previous year", he said, adding that China was beginning to become a "really important market in terms of fan followership".

The outbreak of the flu-like virus has cancelled a number of sporting events, including the scheduled Formula E motor race at Sanya, China, in March.

For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.

Sudan to hand over Omar al-Bashir to ICC
Information Minister Faisal Saleh confirmed the deal to Reuters, but he also did not refer to al-Bashir by name. Following his ouster in April previous year , the Sudanese military has said it would not extradite al-Bashir.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER