Vivo withdraws from MWC 2020 as well Due to Coronavirus Fears

Ruben Fields
February 12, 2020

US-Israeli software provider Amdocs also withdrew from the event on Monday.

Each day that gets us closer to this year's Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona, Spain, also adds thousands of new confirmed coronavirus infections and tens of additional deaths.

"Given the recent global health concerns due to the spread of the 2019-nCoV virus, and out of an abundance of caution and care for our staff, customers, press and other guests, TCL Communication is cancelling its global press event for MWC 2020", said TCL in a statement.

There are no hand shakes.

.

Ericsson: Ericsson announced on February 7 that it was dropping out of MWC due to the coronavirus outbreak. Similarly, those who have now been in China will want to illustrate that they've been in a foreign country for 14 days or longer before their admittance to MWC.

Singapore Airshow, which will be opened on Tuesday, also has seen large companies out of the event, including the USA aerospace giant Lockheed Martin.

"We are obviously concerned by what's happening with the issue of coronavirus and we are putting in place measures so that everything can proceed as normal", he told the Catalan radio station RAC1."But the MWC is not hanging by a thread".

More large companies are skipping Mobile World Congress amid concerns over the coronavirus outbreak.

The virus, which originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan, has so far killed more than 1,000 people, while spreading to at least 24 countries prompting many companies to restrict travel to and from China. More than 300 confirmed cases have cropped up outside of China.

Ericsson withdraws from MWC over coronavirus threat
The novel coronavirus outbreak is not just claiming lives across the globe, but causing harm to trade as well. Organisers and local authorities have been scrambling to contain worries about the virus this week.

Among other precautions, no travellers from China's Hubei province will be allowed into the event.

Chinese companies, including Huawei, ZTE, Oppo and Xiaomi, are still attending the event. Nokia, a Finnish equipment maker of similar size and importance to Ericsson, is now monitoring the situation.

"We remain more than 2,800 strong exhibitors", a GSMA statement said. Moreover, the companies have made a decision to employ European staff in the booths.

The fate of this year's MWC in Barcelona will be decided on Friday, according to Catalonian newspaper, El Nacional.

The company plans to exhibit new 5G devices this year.

ALSO READ: Will MWC be Cancelled With More Tech Giants Backing Out Amid Coronavirus Scare?

Meanwhile, staff will be available to take visitor temperatures and the exhibitors will be informed about the best way to disinfect their stands.

After the emergence of the Coronavirus outbreak, China has postponed over two dozen trade fairs and conferences.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER