ADF militia fighters captured in DR Congo

Grant Boone
February 15, 2020

"Although the world is now focused on coronavirus, we can not and must not forget Ebola", Tedros said, adding that he would travel to DR Congo on Thursday to meet President Felix Tshisekedi.

The ongoing Ebola outbreak in the DRC remains a public health emergency of global concern (PHEIC), according to the worldwide Health Regulations Emergency Committee, convened by the World Health Organisation (WHO) on 12 February.

The WHO's Emergency Committee unanimously agreed to continue the designation known as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern for the DRC, which gives the organization more power to limit the spread of the disease.

Speaking at the press conference, the WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that as long as there is a single case of Ebola in an area, the potential for a much larger epidemic remains given the lack of security and stability in eastern DR Congo.

Dr Ghebreyesus explained that under the current situation, there is hope that Ebola outbreak may soon come to an end.

Tedros expressed hope that the emergency could be lifted within the next three months on the advice of the WHO's emergency committee of worldwide experts.

WHO encouraged by fight against DRC EBOLA outbreak

The WHO declared the DRC's Ebola outbreak a Public Health Emergency of International Concern in mid-July.

Mr. Tedros, who will be travelling to DRC on Thursday to meet President Felix Tshisekedi, on Tuesday said only three cases had been reported in the past week.

Rebels have repeatedly attacked health workers struggling to contain the outbreak and people in communities who've never experienced the illness before remain wary of worldwide aid workers.

The fact of the Ebola outbreak in DRC was declared on August 1, 2018.

Before the outbreak could be declared over, Congo must be free of any new cases for 42 days.

Some 800 World Health Organization staff are now in the Central African country supporting the government-led response to the outbreak.

Andrew McCabe Will Not Face Charges From Justice Department
Prosecutors finally informed McCabe Friday that none would be filed and the case was officially closed . Attorney's Office phoned to say the case against their high-profile client "has been closed".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER