Coronavirus: First fatality in Europe as Chinese tourist dies in France

Clay Curtis
February 15, 2020

An 80-year-old Chinese tourist, from Hubei province, died on Friday evening in a Paris hospital, said France's health minister, Agnès Buzyn.

Previously, health officials said some of the patients who were being taken care of in hospitals in Paris and Bordeaux were ready to be released.

The death is the first from coronavirus outside of Asia.

France has this morning announced the first COVID-19 coronavirus death in Europe. Only three deaths have so far been recorded outside mainland China - in the Philippines, Hong Kong and Japan. The vast majority of those suffering from the virus are in China.

The Big Cat Looks to Climb to the Top at Shinnecock Hills
It was Woods performance in the Players Championship that really caught the eye, with rounds of 65 and 69 during the weekend. With the leaders in the US Open normally hovering around par, this produces a great opportunity for Woods to capitalize.

The total number of confirmed cases globally now stands at more than 67,000.

The highly contagious epidemic which spawned in Wuhan late a year ago has killed 1,527 people. He was hospitalised at Bichat with strict isolation measures on 25 January.

It comes as United Airlines confirmed it offered assistance at Heathrow Airport on Friday after a passenger fell ill on one flight, with reports suggesting the person involved may have had symptoms of coronavirus.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER