14-year-old charged in Barnard College student death in NY

Clay Curtis
February 18, 2020

The boy was arrested in NY in connection with the death of 18-year-old Barnard College freshman Tessa Rane Majors, according to a law enforcement source familiar with the investigation.

The New York Police Department and the Manhattan District Attorney's Office said at a news conference on Saturday that the suspect was arrested Friday at 10:30 p.m.in the lobby of a building in the presence of his mother and other relatives without incident, NBC New York, the New York Times, and CNN reported.

A 13-year-old boy was arrested the day after the attack and charged with second degree murder, first-degree robbery, and criminal possession of a weapon.

He is now being held at a juvenile detention facility and is facing murder, robbery and weapon possession charges, the Daily News reports.

"Sadly, it can not bring back this young woman, this student, this victim", NYPD Commissioner Dermot F. Shea said in a press conference on February 15. "That is something even the best, most impartial investigation simply cannot do", NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said on Saturday at a press conference.

Officers from the New York City Police Department inspect a crime scene where Majors was stabbed to death on December 11, 2019.

New Yorkers join Barnard college students for a candlelight vigil for Tessa Majors, a Barnard freshman who was murdered earlier in the week, on December 15, 2019 at the scene of the crime in Morningside Park in Harlem, New York City.

Pier 1 Files Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Amid Talks With Buyers
He announced plans in January to dismiss about 40% of the headquarters staff and shut about 450 stores, nearly half the chain. Bankruptcy Court in Richmond, Virginia, after warning in less than two months ago about its business operations in 2020.

In this December 2019 photo, a woman walks past a make-shift memorial for Tessa Majors inside the Barnard College campus in NY. According to Vance, Majors' final words allegedly were: "Help me".

Surveillance video showed three people and Majors struggling on a park landing before she broke free and staggered up the stairs, the complaint said. Authorities said that DNA evidence from under Majors' fingernails matched DNA collected from the defendant.

A 13-year-old who was arrested December 13 and charged as a juvenile with felony murder told detectives he was at the park with other youths but wasn't the one who stabbed Majors.

She was pronounced dead at 7.23 pm - meaning there was more than half an hour between the time of the attack and her death.

Authorities stated that an "active investigation in terms of other suspects" is ongoing and the suspect's next court date is February 19. None were over 14 years old, police said.

Meanwhile, the complaint declares that, on December 11, the three suspects initially followed a man through the park, before they turned their attention to Majors.

The 13-year-old's case is being heard in family court.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article