Overwatch League announces canceled matches will resume in online schedule

Ruben Fields
March 15, 2020

Riot Games yesterday alone announced that the League of Legends Championship Series (LCS) would play the matches without public attendees and the forthcoming Super Smash Bros.

"We're now working on a revamped match schedule that will allow all teams around the world to begin competing in March while minimizing latency concerns", a league spokesperson wrote in a statement.

Following the suit, the Call Of Duty League (also owned by Activision Blizzard) canceled all live events. The organisation postponed all home activities in the Overwatch League until April earlier this week.

Spain-bound planes turn around mid-air as coronavirus cases soar
Spain's health ministry says it has recorded 1,500 more cases of Covid-19 since 18:00 on Friday evening local time (17:00 GMT). Sanchez acknowledged on Friday that the number of infections could reach 10,000 in the coming days.

"Online play allows us to prioritize the health and safety of our entire community while still continuing to bring fans high-quality entertainment and competition", the Overwatch League wrote. The new dates for the matches will be announced shortly as the developer work on rescheduling everything. Activision Blizzard also promises to return to city-based competitions with live audiences "as soon as it is safe and logistically possible". Activision Blizzard, through Engadget said that the matches will be live streamed courtesy of YouTube. It is speculated that they will resume online on March 21.

The league's All-Star Weekend will be moved to after the 2020 season and the midseason tournament has been canceled. Eschewing that temporarily is certainly the right thing to do, but it's fascinating to see such a huge Esport roll back its events due to coronavirus.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER