Berkshire County Sees First COVID-19 Death

Grant Boone
March 26, 2020

Three men, two 70-year-old from Hampden and Berkshire counties and a third 90-year-old man from Suffolk county, died from a COVID-19 related illness, with the total number of deaths from the new coronavirus.in MA at five.

The confirmation of their deaths followed a weekend during which the commonwealth's first two COVID-19 deaths were confirmed: a man in his 80s from Suffolk County who had been hospitalized and had pre-existing health conditions and a woman in her 50s from Middlesex County who had a pre-existing condition, predisposing them both to more severe disease.

The department also will receive $5 million from MassHousing, the agency charged with providing financing for affordable housing in the state, for a COVID-19 Rental Assistance for Families in Transition fund to help families struggling to pay rent.

"To slow the spread of the coronavirus, all families should keep children out of group care settings to the greatest extent possible".

Trudeau, G20 leaders to confer on international response to COVID-19
The aid will provide out of work Canadians with $2000 per month for four months. "Help is on the way", Trudeau said. According to Global Affairs Canada (GAC), there are now more than 419,400 Canadians registered who are overseas .

"We know that child care is an especially critical piece of emergency service, and that it allows our front-line workers to continue their battle against COVID-19", Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker said at a news conference, according to the Associated Press.

The state has also made progress on increasing its capacity to test for the disease, Baker said, and state officials have been in discussions with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to identify facilities that can be converted into temporary medical centers. If not, they should stay at home while they are sick. The man had been hospitalized and had pre-existing health conditions that put him at higher risk for COVID-19.

Governor Charlie Baker announced Wednesday that schools across MA will remain closed at least until early May, one of several new measures he is taking in an effort to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus that so far has infected more than 1,800 MA residents and killed 15.

The following is a statement from the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER