COVID-19: Justin Trudeau unveils emergency payments for Canadians

Clay Curtis
April 7, 2020

Trudeau says Canada will continue to engage with USA administration regarding US president Donald Trump's order to 3M to stop the export of N95 masks. "These are things we are going to be continuing to work on and we will have more to say in the coming days", he said.

The company has argued blocking exports will raise "significant humanitarian implications" overseas and lead other countries to retaliate by withholding much-needed medical supplies from the US.

The Trump administration asked the company to stop sending medical-grade face masks to Canada and Latin America this week, something the Minnesota-based supplier said would likely prompt retaliatory measures.

She said Canada continues to drive home the point that given the interconnected nature of supply chains between Canada and the US, "a win-win outcome, where both parties continue to help each other, is the very best outcome".

In the next 48 hours, the shipment of masks will be delivered.

Such parties could include "some well-established PPE distributors with the ability to unscrupulously divert PPE inventories from domestic customers, such as hospitals and state governments, to foreign purchasers willing to pay significant premiums", the statement said.

"We will continue to keep trade open with the United States", he said. Trudeau said on Saturday he would not retaliate, while noting some Canadian health professionals living along the United States border work in hospitals south of the border.

Media reports suggest Trump and trade adviser Peter Navarro singled out 3M after a Fox News report accused the Minnesota-based company's American distributors of selling its masks to "foreign buyers" that were outbidding US customers.

British PM in intensive care with coronavirus
It was a seemingly rapid deterioration after Johnson had tweeted Monday that he was in "good spirits" while hospitalized . Mr Johnson has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab to deputise for him.

Rather, he says the countries can come up with a diplomatic solution.

Earlier this week, Ottawa announced it had ordered 65 million N95 masks, which provide a higher degree of protection against COVID-19 than the ones coming from China.

"We don't want any other people getting it", Mr Trump said.

As a result, Ford said the province now expects to run out of masks and other personal protective equipment for healthcare workers next week.

Tam continued to advise that masks - including surgical and N95 masks - must be reserved for health care workers and "others providing direct care" to people with the illness.

Meanwhile, the Canadian government is giving more financial support aimed at helping the most vulnerable survive the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Prime Minister has announced Canada will be receiving a shipment of masks by a chartered cargo flight soon.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER