UK PM fights worsening virus symptoms

Ruben Fields
April 7, 2020

The Financial Times led with the fact-heavy headline, "Johnson moved to intensive care as persistent symptoms worsen".

Johnson had been quarantined in his home since being diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 26. By being in intensive care if there is further support he needs it is there at hand.

A photo supplied by Number 10 Downing Street shows Prime Ministe Boris Johnson chairing a COVID-9 meeting remotely whilst in isolation on Saturday, March 28.

The prime minister, 55, was admitted to hospital in London with "persistent symptoms" on Sunday.

"Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the prime minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the intensive care unit at the hospital", the spokesman previously said.

"The PM has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who is the First Secretary of State, to deputise for him where necessary".

Chancellor Rishi Sunak said his thoughts were with the prime minister and his pregnant partner, Carrie Symonds, and that Mr Johnson would "come out of this even stronger".

UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab ruled out Johnson temporarily stepping back as leader while he recovers, telling a daily media briefing that whilst still working the Prime Minister was continuing to abide by his medical advice and remained in good spirits.

YouTube will remove false 5G/coronavirus videos
One such theory is regarding Coronavirus, which is the most trending topic right now, and its relation to 5G networks. In a statement from YouTube, it was announced that the content created in this way violates YouTube's policies.

Johnson's spokesman said the prime minister had a comfortable night in the hospital and remained there under observation.

Some in the Conservative Party called for Raab to formally step in for the prime minister until he was better.

Johnson was last seen in public last Thursday evening when he joined the nationwide "Clap for Carers".

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson's move to the intensive care unit of St Thomas' hospital in London, after his condition continued to deteriorate, dominated the front pages of Britain's newspapers on Tuesday morning.

Throughout the day officers and police vehicles could be seen entering and exiting the central London hospital.

Responding to the news, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer tweeted: "Terribly sad news".

Raab told a news conference that the prime minister was still running the government, although he added that he hadn't spoken to the prime minister directly since Saturday, according to Reuters.

It comes as the number of coronavirus hospital deaths in the United Kingdom reached 5,373 - an increase of 439 in a day.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER