Jellinbah miner identified as man COVID-19 tragedy

Grant Boone
May 27, 2020

A 30-year-old Queensland man found dead by his partner in their home is Australia's latest and youngest COVID-19 fatality.

"It's a timely reminder for all Queenslanders that this COVID is real, it's out there, and it has impacts on Queenslanders and in this case, we have lost another Queenslander today", Mr Miles said on Wednesday.

He died a short time later and a positive COVID-19 test was returned about 11:00pm.

He said the man had been unwell for some time and did not get tested.

© Provided by ABC Health Ms Palaszczuk announced the death at a press conference this morning.

Dr Young said she was "of course" concerned.

"I have four planes on the ground, two in Townsville and two in Brisbane that we can use to go and get anyone who's a confirmed case, and move them to Rockhampton or to Brisbane", Young told reporters on Wednesday.

Australia's death toll from the virus now stands at 103, with 7142 cases recorded.

While the coroner will investigate whether the virus or the man's other known illnesses caused his death, a Queensland Health spokesman said the man had respiratory symptoms since the first week of May.

It is understood he had not been working since November.

Brad Keselowski Earns His First Win at Coca-Cola 600
There was qualifying for the Coca-Cola 600 but will not be on Wednesday, which is going to be the case for the foreseeable future. Teammates Byron, Johnson and Alex Bowman have also fared well, showing the organization was well-prepared after the shutdown.

Information has been revealed late this afternoon that the nurse from the North Rockhampton Nursing Centre, who tested positive to COVID-19 earlier this month, travelled to Blackwater however Queensland Health claim she said she did not interact with the community.

However, there have been no prior cases of COVID in Blackwater, raising concerns for authorities.

"Contact tracing is extensively underway". Paramedics who attended the scene last night have since been placed into isolation.

Health Minister Steven Miles said extra testing capacity was being set up in the regional town for people to be examined.

Mrs Rix has only been leaving home for necessities, such as appointments and grocery shopping, but said she would be taking extra precautions from now on.

"This message is particularly important for all the blokes out there".

Authorities were tracing a possible link between the man [identified as Nathan Turner through a Facebook source] and the Ruby Princess cruise ship that docked in Sydney in March and was responsible for Australia's biggest outbreak of the virus, Queensland state officials said.

"A lot of the population there is engaged, either directly or indirectly, with the resource industry", Hayes said.

Furthermore, the positive coronavirus test result was only returned after he had died.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER