China records more COVID-19 cases as another phase of outbreak continues

Clay Curtis
July 1, 2020

In a sign that the resurgence of cases in the capital is proving hard to stamp out even as officials say they've been largely contained, Hebei province's Anxin county has been sealed off and each household can assign only one person to go out for necessities daily, reported state media.

All the new infections were in Beijing, the National Health Commission said in a statement.

On Sunday, the local authorities announced that the Anxin would be "fully enclosed and controlled" and the restrictions are similar to those imposed in Wuhan earlier this year.

Further, only one member from each household will be allowed to go outside once a day for necessities.

China has reported 21 new coronavirus cases for June 27 as a new phase of the outbreak continues in Beijing.

Over the past 24 hours, Beijing reported 14 new cases of the virus, taking the total since a mid-June outbreak in a food market to 311. The infections were linked to Beijing's sprawling Xinfadi wholesale food centre.

Gulftimes : 21,200 Indians repatriated from India so far
Meanwhile, one more flight took off from Doha's Hamad International Airport (HIA) Saturday as part of the Vande Bharat Mission. Scheduled global passenger flights have been suspended in India since March 25 due to the coronavirus pandemic .

The total number of recorded COVID-19 cases in China now stands at 84,743, with 4,641 deaths.

Over 2,100 people from Anxin county do seafood-related business in Xinfadi, state media reported, citing municipal government officials.

Till Sunday noon, Beijing had collected 8.29 million patient samples for testing and completed 7.69 million tests, Zhang Qiang, an official from Beijing's municipal committee, said.

The capital has mass-tested wholesale market workers, restaurant workers, residents of medium and high-risk neighborhoods and delivery couriers over the past two weeks. Testing has now expanded to include all employees of the city's beauty parlous and hair salons, the Global Times said.

Some 12 cases of Covid-19 were found in the county. While schools are closed and transport limited in Beijing, people are still allowed to leave as long as they have a negative virus test.

But Wu Zunyou, chief epidemiology expert at the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, told reporters last week the new outbreak had been "brought under control", and officials lifted a weeks-long lockdown imposed on seven Beijing communities on Friday.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER