Ladakh stand-off: Corps Commanders talks on Tuesday

Daniel Fowler
July 1, 2020

Indian and Chinese armies are scheduled to hold the third Corp Commander-level meeting on Tuesday in another attempt to de-escalate the ongoing military stand-off between the two countries in the Ladakh sector. Indian officials say there were casualties on the Chinese side as well, but there has been no confirmation by Beijing. We, too, have counter-mobilised with additional Army and ITBP troops in the area since May for any eventuality.

The assembling of troops in the Galwan region, the building of road at Gogra point, the upgradation of communication at Hot Springs and the massive infra push at the Pangong Tso all proves that the Chinese Army has no intentions to restore status quo aante.

"All contentious parts in the course of the existing standoff ended up discussed to stabilise the problem", included a supply privy to the progress.

The resolve to send steel boats to Pangong Tso was taken by the tri-services this week with the Navy asked to send the vessels via C-17 heavy lift transporters to Leh on a priority basis. India claims Line of True Control at Finger 8 and Chinese are sitting down amongst at Finger 4 and Finger 5. Similar, differences exist in Depsang and Demchok.

This is the third assembly concerning the two sides. Singh will be briefed about the situation along the LAC by the Northern Army Commander and Corps Commander. The previous two meetings were held at Moldo on the Chinese side on 6 and 22 June.

PA Ready to Renew Peace Talks with Israel to Avoid Annexation
A Netanyahu-Gantz rift might, therefore, delay a cabinet debate on annexation that both had agreed could begin as early as July 1. Netanyahu promote (annexation)?" the president of the Israeli Democracy Institute think-tank, Yohanan Plesner, told reporters.

A day after the second round of marathon talks on June 22, an Indian army source had said there was a "mutual consensus to disengage" and the modalities had been discussed.

Also Big Normal amount dialogue took place for three consecutive days following the barbaric attack at patrolling stage 14 in Galwan valley on June 15 evening wherever 20 Indian troopers were being killed.

Major General Abhijit Bapat, who is the Commander of the 3 Division of the Indian Army, had raised several points with the Chinese with regards to the incident on the night intervening June 15/16. Maharashtra signed a few MoUs with some Chinese companies for setting up industry in the state.

In a strongly-worded statement, the external affairs ministry last week held China responsible for the standoff, saying it has has been amassing a large contingent of troops and armaments along the LAC since early May and that conduct of the Chinese forces is in complete disregard of all mutually agreed norms.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER