Tulsa City Council Votes To Remove Black Lives Matter Mural From Greenwood

Clay Curtis
July 30, 2020

A third woman, aged 25, was arrested and issued a Criminal Infringement Notice for offensive language.

Willing said shutting down the protest was an issue of public safety.

"We appreciate people's rights to protest, we understand that the issues that are in question here are significant and are sensitive to a lot of people, however we must do what we can to ensure the public in general in safe at this time".

"I don't know how many times we have to warn people", he said after events turned ugly.

"We don't want to see people congregating in breach of the health order and that's why action was taken".

People in NSW are now allowed to gather in groups of 20 or less, but police will allege that hundreds of people were gathered "for a common purpose" despite social distancing.

Mara Soriano: Stolen teddy bear with dying mum's message found
A backpack belonging to Vancouver's Mara Soriano was stolen from an alley while she was in the middle of a move. Given to her as a Christmas present, the bear had inside the only recorded message she had of her mom.

The department included a transcript of an interview with a television reporter in which Barrett states she was anxious police were going to hurt the man and she was trying to "pull him away".

On several different dates since protests began in late May, police have used tear gas, pepper spray, batons, blast balls and less-than-lethal projectiles against large crowds of demonstrators. Some protesters were forcibly marched out of The Domain to police vehicles waiting nearby, while others were ordered to disperse.

But Padraic "Paddy" Gibson, one of the rally's main organisers, said the hand wringing and legal manoeuvres by the government were pure hypocrisy given people could go to football stadiums and shopping centres.

The protest was due to start at midday Tuesday, despite being declared illegal by the NSW Supreme Court, which later dismissed an appeal by Mr Gibson. More than 10,000 people have signed an online petition requesting Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum to allow the mural to become a permanent fixture in the Greenwood District, which was devastated during the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre.

Organisers previously said they would risk arrest and go ahead with the rally before delivering a 90,000-strong petition to NSW Parliament calling for justice for Indigenous man David Dungay Jr.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article