New Zealand Prolongs COVID-19 Restrictions for One More Week

Clay Curtis
September 14, 2020

In relation to the alert level in Auckland, Ardern says cabinet will meet on Monday, September 21, to dicsuss Auckland's alert levels with a view to increase gathering limits.

Health experts expect the country will remain at alert level 2 - and Auckland at alert level 2.5 - for some time yet.

There is one new community case of Covid-19 reported today, of a girl linked to the Auckland cluster.

The Government will today announce New Zealand's alert level update, which will give businesses an idea of how soon they can reopen in full.

That change, if it comes, will take effect on September 23, she said.

He agreed it was "a good question" as to why the rest of New Zealand was in level 2 when there had been no community cases (aside from Tokoroa cases linked to the Auckland cluster).

Prime Minister Ardern said the goal was still to move "speedily down" alert levels.

Carnage in Le Classique as Neymar accuses Alvaro Gonzalez of racism
Thomas Tuchel's side have now lost the first two games of the season - something which has not happened since the 1984/85 campaign.

National Party leader Judith Collins questioned why the South Island remained in alert level 2, calling the restrictions "a continued lockdown".

The child has been in isolation since August 30 due to being a household contact of a confirmed case.

They are employed to work exclusively at the Auckland quarantine facility and do not work at any other site.

"This case is still being investigated to determine if the infection came from the community or from within the quarantine facility, though at this stage no obvious links to other cases in the community have been established", the Health Ministry said.

As of today there are three people in hospital with Covid-19 - one is in isolation on a ward in Auckland City Hospital and two are in ICU, at North Shore and Waikato hospitals. It is yet unknown whether the health worker was infected from the community or from within the quarantine facility, said the ministry. Not because they are against the Government's COVID-19 response, but because they have applied their own "common sense" test to their risk of exposure to the virus.

With Monday's new case and two additional recovered cases, the country's total number of active cases is 96.

The school is deemed safe to attend; however, it will be deep cleaned as a precaution, parents, caregivers, and staff were told via Facebook.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER