Ontario reports 313 new COVID-19 cases, one additional death

Grant Boone
September 16, 2020

"It is the responsibility of each of us to take steps immediately to halt this alarming trend", OHA president and CEO Anthony Dale said in the release.

Answering a question Monday afternoon during a virtual town hall with Northern Ontario's chambers of commerce, Ford reiterated the province's intent to continue with a regional, rather than a one-size-fits-all, approach to COVID-19, saying he will always rely on the advice of the province's chief medical officers of health.

Public health experts all seem to agree that a second wave in the COVID-19 pandemic is coming on fast, and the Ontario government assures that this time we'll be prepared.

Ontario health officials reported 313 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, marking the province's highest daily total in 14 weeks.

Spiking COVID-19 cases in B.C. prompted the province to shut down nightclubs and banquet halls last week while bars and restaurants had their hours reduced.

Elliott said the province is not in a second wave yet but warned a fall surge could be worse than the first given complications such as flu season.

Health Minister Christine Elliott said in a tweet that 78 per cent of the new cases were from three regions: 112 in Toronto, 71 in Peel and 60 in Ottawa. He said most of the admissions are in intensive care.

The province of Ontario has paid $2.5 million to Guelph-based manufacturing company Linamar Corp.to help retool its assembly line to make ventilator parts.

Carole Baskin's Missing Husband's Family Buys Commercial During 'DWTS'
The tweet was attached to a GIF of Jeff Bridges as "The Dude" from The Big Lebowski looking confused and wondering what day it is. Don Lewis' daughters are hoping to finally get justice for their father who mysteriously disappeared in 1997 .

"We are not going to naively say there will be no cases, there will be some", he said. We see it all over the world.

The premier took a swipe at other Northern Ontario representatives, especially those from the NDP, for not supporting the government's initiatives for the North despite being "pro-forestry, pro-mining" and "pro-business".

Michael Garron Hospital - formerly Toronto East General Hospital - reported an increasing volume of patients just before the long weekend in August and more consistently since the beginning of September.

"We do not want to do that", she said.

He said that parents concerned about the possibility of major spread of the virus in schools needs to understand that the measures put in place in school will make a difference.

He said Ontarians must continue to wash their hands frequently, practice physical distancing, wear face masks when required, stay home when sick, and neither host nor attend unsafe gatherings or parties.

"We are all in this together and our collective success depends on each of us making the right choices".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER