India, China commanders again talk to end border standoff

Clay Curtis
September 22, 2020

For the first time, the Indian team for the military talks also included a senior official from the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).

There is no official statement either from the Indian or Chinese side, however, the outcome of the meeting between 14 Corps commander Lt-General Harinder Singh and South Xinjiang Military District chief Major General Liu Lin hints towards another stalemate.

India and China agreed to implement the consensus reached by theirs leaders over the border issue during the 14-hour-long diplomatic-military talks in Moldo to resolve border disputes, the Indian Army stated on Tuesday. At the meeting, India pushed for the withdrawal of Chinese troops from confrontational sites in East Ladakh. China is believed to have also suffered casualties, but has not given any details.

Since then, troops have guarded the undefined border areas stretching from Ladakh to India's northeastern Arunachal Pradesh state, occasionally brawling.

The report said New Delhi will continue to upgrade its overall military capabilities, particularly in those fields where capability gaps exist vis-a-vis China, such as air power, ground-based air defence and missile forces.

The Five Point Agreement aims to end the tense stalemate over early troop withdrawals, avoid escalating actions, comply with all border management agreements and protocols, and take steps to restore peace along the lines of actual control. Huh.

Nasa releases plan for Moon return by 2024
On Monday, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine reaffirmed the United States space agency's commitment to the Artemis programme. This will evaluate the handling qualities of the Orion, as well as the performance of the spacecraft's hardware and software.

At a ceremony in Ambala on September 10 where five Rafale jets were inducted into the IAF, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said the induction of the fleet was crucial considering the atmosphere being created along the frontier and that it is a "big and stern" message to those eyeing India " s sovereignty.

In recent weeks, the world's two most populous nations have accused each other of sending soldiers into each other's territory in the Pangong area and firing warning shots for the first time in 45 years, raising the specter of a full-scale military conflict.

Following China's fresh attempts to change the status quo in the southern bank of Pangong lake, India has further bolstered its military presence in the region.

Over the last four months, experts, politicians, the Indian Army, and others have often reiterated that the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) between India and China is unlike any other face off in the past. China has been occupying the areas between Finger 4 and Finger 8.

China has strongly objected to India's move.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER